Orientation, Invisibility and Isolation in Guelph!

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/16/17 2:42 pm
In general (from what I've read on this forum over the last 11+ years) WLS is kind of isolating in general.

Yes people in rare occassions find a support network in real life, but it's rare. Hence the reason we've gravitated towards online forums.
GUY57
on 9/19/17 7:55 am

Hey Beam me up Scottie! ;-)

Why is WLS an isolating experience. More than 50% of the population is obese.... to a greater or lesser degree.... so shouldn't it be such a common experience that WLS would be just like Weigh****chers or any of the other programs??

I am working on the real life support group scenario... I think it would be empowering to say the least!

Thanks again my friend!

Guy 57

Beam me up Scottie
on 9/19/17 9:25 am
Just read through this forum. Many (not just a few) face criticism about having WLS, and not doing it the "right way" (or what people perceive as the right way).

Families can be interesting- they range from very supportive to family members that try to sabotage weight loss.

Even strangers feel the need to comment on Weight loss- I've seen it posted many times that people have been told they are "too thin", "look sick", "have a terminal disease", etc.

Because weight loss after WLS is rapid, it is not equivalent to the weight loss you would have in Weigh****chers, plus WLS has its own social prejudices.

This has been my experience, and from observation of people's experiences that they've posted on this site.

Teena D.
on 9/18/17 1:09 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I think you've had some great feedback and I also think that it's anxiety. My orientation at Toronto Western was very much like that. I'm surprised that you are going through the whole process at Guelph- I would love to have been given that option as they do not have the backlogs that the Toronto hospitals have. I've done that drive though- I live in Oshawa and to help with the backlog at Toronto Western, I was given the option to have my surgery at Guelph. My follow-ups are still with TWH, but I do them through Telehealth- which Guelph also offers.

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

GUY57
on 9/19/17 7:58 am

Hey Teena D!

How many Oshawanians are there on this forum!?!?!? hahahahahaha!!!!

I do consider myself lucky to have Guelph pick me! I am hoping that I go to my professional appointments Friday, Monday and Tuesday coming up... and then on Wednesday I have the surgery! Just kidding... I know the surgery won't be for a while.... but one can hope!!! ;-)

Thanks again Teena D!

GUY 57

Teena D.
on 9/19/17 8:50 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Guelph is pretty current and helping again with the backlog at TWH. While it won't be THAT soon (lol) you might be surprised at how quickly you go through the process there. Call them and ask if there are any cancellations for any of your appointments, and if you have a flexible schedule tell them. :)

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Kathy S.
on 9/19/17 10:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

One of the best pieces of advice I got was key for me losing over 200 pounds and keeping it off over 10 years. When I met with my surgeon I told him I wanted surgery as soon as possible because if he gave me too much time to think about it I would chicken out. He laughed and said then his program was not for me. He said his pre-op program could take any where from 6 months to a year. I was devastated and crying like a baby I sucked it up and went through the program and it was the best time I ever spent. By the time I got a surgery date I was ready, knew exactly what I needed to do and had everything planned out. It served me well.

Try and take your time, id your trigger emotions, situations and foods, put a plan in place to deal with all the speed bumps that will come your way. Planning is key to getting to goal.

Interesting observation about the seminar.....I guess I was vocal even back then LOL The room was quite but once I started asking questions everyone jumped in. When I asked how many patients had died on him the gasp was very loud.

We are here for you all the way Guy57

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active