The emotional toll of obesity

Melody P.
on 9/14/17 1:48 pm - Amarillo, TX

I always say we are the step child part of Texas..lol.

Mel

theAntiChick
on 9/13/17 8:09 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I've been lucky... my friends and family have had concerns, but for the most part they voiced them once, and then committed to supporting me in my decision.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with other people's baggage. I think you're doing the right thing to narrow your discussions to people who are being supportive.

It's OK to take care of yourself. In fact, it's the only way you can properly take care of other people.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Melody P.
on 9/13/17 12:27 pm - Amarillo, TX

I am lucky too, I have been blessed with support from those that matter most in my life. I have a hard time ignoring my own negative mind chatter. It is better than its ever been. Yesterday and this morning was the hardest time I've had in a long while. I do agree with you last sentence whole heartedly!

Mel

Melody P.
on 9/13/17 12:34 pm - Amarillo, TX

After a dismal evening of tears and anger and a mornin of much the same today has been pretty bright. I am so thankful I did not take an extended "vacation" to that dark place. I had the highest blood sugar that I know of in over three years. Made the mistake of eating a largish flour tortilla last night. It was 221 this morning. Instead of focusing on the negative stuff I got proactive. I'm turning our basement into a workout area. Had to move a couch and tv stand around. I worked up a sweat and it felt good to do so.

i also bought a used wii from a thrift store. It works perfectly and came with the board thingy. Also has wii fit 1&2. I ordered a used dance game to get me moving. I'm excited about because I used to have one and gave it away in a depression stuper years ago.

thanks for all your replies....one day at a time!

Mel

Kathy1212
on 9/14/17 7:56 am

I'm so glad you're feeling better today. The wii fit sounds like so much fun!

I have an old Xbox 360 with Kinect and love playing games on it and getting a work out at the same time. My favourite one is a zombie game where I get to kill zombies by bending over to pick up tools to use, then attacking them with it. I have to make the same motions that i would make in real life, should there ever be a zombie apocalypse, and can even kick or push them away. I look like a total fool shadow boxing in the basement but it's so much fun. If I had the money i'd totally get the HTC Vive and do all of my gaming in virtual reality, lol.

People always have opinions about everything, but remember, they're just opinions, not facts, and it's YOUR life and you get to live it however you choose.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Melody P.
on 9/14/17 1:55 pm - Amarillo, TX

It does sound like fun! I can't wait to get the dance game but I'm already doing the wii fit games. My balance sucks! LOL

Mel

azmichy
on 9/15/17 11:50 am
VSG on 10/24/17

That is so AWESOME that you turned it into a positive. I may have to look into that wi dance idea. That sounds fun.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/13/17 4:32 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

"My body, my decision." Bottom line. NOBODY else gets to make this choice or undergo this journey but you, and their opinions count for a big fat ZERO.

I had a lot of guilt at first as well. Did having surgery mean I didn't love and accept myself the way that I was? Was I cheating my way to thin privilege? Was I shorting my family by diverting resources (financial, emotional, etc.) to myself rather than spending them on others?

I think people judge and get negative because they don't really understand. They're afraid of what could happen on the operating table. They're afraid that your personality will change and you won't like them or want to spend time with them anymore. They're afraid that you'll fail and be depressed.

We can't always force them to understand. Sometimes they get better when they see you succeed, sometimes they don't. We can't control others' feelings, which is an awful fact to face, especially when we're used to putting others first.

You can do this. I have faith in you.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Melody P.
on 9/14/17 1:52 pm - Amarillo, TX

Thank you! You are very right. I feel even better today...the nights tend to be harder for me but those are becoming less and less bad.

i know I deserve to at least try to be healthy and happy. I know the surgery is no instant solution, I still have to fight for that happiness. I'm ready to go to war!

Mel

Melody P.
on 9/14/17 1:53 pm - Amarillo, TX

Ps I love your signature! To cute!

Mel

Most Active