Potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/17 8:13 am

I wasn't going to reply to this because I get way too much negative feedback. But my reality is I eat fat free potatoes all the time.

My metabolism is more like a man's because I was a child athlete.

im a stable 135 lbs. healthy as a horse thank God slim six packedpost op

Valerie G.
on 9/14/17 10:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Officially, potatoes are complex carbs, but because they are one of the highest on the glycemic index, they are treated as a simple carb and avoided while trying to lose weight.

Many of us enjoy potatoes on occasion once in maintenance.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/14/17 10:47 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think potatoes are absolutely perfect for people who want to gain weight or, at the very least, stop losing.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/14/17 12:30 pm

not bad carb. There are really no "bad" or "good" carbs.

Carbs are just that - carbs. It is a carb I add a little when I try to gain little bit of weight. Or because it is golden fried and taste yummy - i.e. fries... (but they better be really good)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/14/17 12:35 pm

o, the potatoes are great to make supper gluten free vodka. Very very clean.

for the record:I don't drink it- but I use that in my gluten free herbal tinctures and cordials, as medicine.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Donna L.
on 9/14/17 10:41 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

The problem with potatoes is that if you are eating for nutrient density, potatoes don't really hit the mark. Hey, if you enjoy 'em go for it if you do not overeat them and if they fit in your diet. If you are trying to maximize nutrients, they fall short by far. I am not you, however, and you might be able to eat them just fine in moderation. I will never be able to eat potatoes in moderation. I've still got so many potatoes from 10 years ago I'm trying to lose I am surprised my hips don't start sprouting shoots in the dark...

Anyway, as for potatoes and potassium, 100g of raw mushrooms actually have about 400mg of potassium, where a large baked potato has about 550. Cooked down we can eat far more of the mushrooms. There are many lower calorie choices for potassium that you can choose - never mind low carb.

Most of the ketogenic dieters I know have never been potassium deficient - quite the contrary! Many of the low carb vegetables are far higher in potassium than potatoes. Also, beef is quite good for potassium - 100 grams of beef (about 3oz) has around 300mg give or take. Far from trivial. So, basically, a 3oz burger with mushrooms has more potassium by far than a potato.

However, it's not quite correct that they are the most efficient foods for potassium by calorie; there are even more examples I haven't listed.

By all means, if you really want to eat potatoes go ahead. I have known people who progress from potatoes to cupcakes. Others just eat 1/4 a sweet potato here and there and are fine. Just be honest about what sort of habits you have...brutally honest. You know better than strangers on the internet. As for myself, I don't want to throw away my surgery for the sake of potatoes, because that is what I would do.

I am not eating any potatoes or cupcakes until the ones I ate years ago are gone from my hips. And, likely not after that much, either.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

mute
on 9/15/17 7:14 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Potatoes were on my plan from my NUT early on and then when I came here I learned they were a bad carb. I haven't eaten them since around week 4 or so.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active