Best group health insurance for surgery coverage?

kaytiebugs
on 9/9/17 2:59 pm - Flowery Branch, GA

I own a small business and plan to start offering group health coverage in a couple of months. I also want to have my lapband removed and have the duodenal switch surgery done. Possibly RNY but I've always said if I had to do it again I'd do DS.

I'm in GA btw. I'm working with an agent, and she can tell me which plans COVER WLS but not necessarily which ones will jack me around for a year.

In case anyone is wondering, I've had my lapband for about 8 years I guess. Had it completely unfilled 2.5 years ago because I could never find the "sweet spot" again after having it at 2.5cc while pregnant with my 5yo. Every bit of fill was too tight. Plus my port gives me Charlie horses. I've really grown to hate the stupid thing. And I now weigh more than I did prior to having lapband surgery.

Knitter215
on 9/9/17 6:40 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Ask the broker to get you the links to the policy language on the various carrier websites. S/he should be able to do that - you should be able to see that just like you can see the pharmacy formulary to check which drugs are covered or the physician and hospital finder. Or ask for a sample policy copy. They should be able to provide it and the language should be in there.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

AggieMae
on 9/9/17 6:57 pm, edited 9/9/17 11:58 am
VSG on 10/25/16

The bigger issue is what you are is willing to pay for. For example my policy covers WLS, but has a provision that it doesn't cover any plastic surgery regardless of "medical necessity".

mschwab
on 9/10/17 1:30 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Kaiser has an excellent bariatric program. Since care and coverage is together, you don't have to worry about meeting separate surgeon and insurance requirements. Once you are in, you are in. I will tell you that it is a comprehensive program that requires a lot of pre-work before surgery. I found it extremely valuable because I felt so prepared when they wheeled me into surgery.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Most Active