Documentary - Yes or No?

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:35 pm

Hey Liz WantsHealthForAll! ;-)

Have you seen a lot of youtube videos on WLS? Help me understand what in your mind would make a good quality video as opposed to what is already out there. It's an important question for me to answer.... since I don't want to repeat what is already done.

Also... I'm not even in the beginning stages... and you have already achieved your goal (Congratulations!!!!!).... so tell me what would YOU emphasize in the "real" world of eating after WLS?

i appreciate any insight you could provide!

Thanks again,

GUY57

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/13/17 2:56 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I have not seen a lot, no. It seems like you potentially have the experience to do a good job, so you are better suited to film one than most (including me).

The "real" world of eating after WLS is that you can NEVER go back to old habits. To be successful you MUST always be vigilant and develop support systems. As you read on OH, those who are successful generally work on eating high protein, keeping away from bad carbs, drink lots of water, always take vitamins and log and track calories. Other important techniques for many are daily weighing, on-line and in-person support groups, etc. For some, therapy is an important component. In summary, WLS is only a tool. You must always work at losing and keeping the weight off.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 9/10/17 5:20 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I say go for it since you have the skills & equipment to do so. Just remember to cover past the first year. It goes by quickly but it's the long game that people shoot for. The first year is exciting but the hum drum of maintenance that's the real kicker & it's hard when compared to the first year.

A male perspective to wls would be interesting to look at. Good luck to you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:43 pm

Hey T Hagalicious Rebel Brown! ;-)

That's a great handle for sure! hahahaha!!!!

You make some excellent points! You'd be surprised how little equipment it takes.... and how much Creative Energy it requires! Everyone who's posted so far seems to emphasize giving an insight into post one year anniversary of the surgery... and the male perspective (which definitely is under represented!)... so we're reaching a bit of a consensus.

Thanks again my friend!

GUY57

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:44 pm

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!!! ;-)

Teena D.
on 9/13/17 3:53 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Welcome! I had my surgery at Guelph in January. I'm a Toronto Western patient but was able to go to Guelph for surgery due to the overwhelming backlog at TWH. I know nothing about their program but I will tell you the hospital and surgeons (I was transferred to a different surgeon on surgery day- so I've met 2 of them) were awesome.

I think a vlog or documentary would be great. My biggest advice from what I've seen is make it concise. I've seen monthly updates that are 30-40 minutes and I've turned it off long before they were done.

Good luck with your journey!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

GUY57
on 9/14/17 5:52 pm

Hello Teena D! ;-)

First of all... CONGRATS ON THE SURGERY!!! You are where I want to be!

Thank you for the advice on the documentary. I totally understand what you mean about the extended monologue! On the way to Guelph today... I set up my cameras and found that I literally went on and on about every topic... from fat shaming... to growing up..... to why I eat... etc etc etc. Don't judge me harshly... it was almost a two hour drive from Oshawa to Guelph! hahahahahaha!!!

I am a professional Editor... so your voice will be ringing in my ears as I edit. TEENA D SEZ MAKE IT CONCISE! ;-)

Thanks again my friend!

Guy 57

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 9:46 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Yes for sure on documentary. It takes bold people to help raise awareness. And good storytellers who can make the process relatable and not just focused on people who weigh 1000 lbs and haven't been out of bed in 10 years. ( a la My 600 Lb. Life) There's still a lot of prejudice and misinformation around WLS. Sorry if I missed the question in my reply last night.

GUY57
on 9/14/17 5:56 pm

Hey AZLoser! ;-)

I am still torn on whether to do it or not. I went to orientation today and there was zero interaction between the people in the room (I include myself in this). We were all focused on our own individual journey... so I think I would have been killed if I brought up a documentary! hahahahha!!!

Thank you for your feedback about the relatable aspect of any potential documentary. We were all of different sizes today...different nationalities... different levels of knowledge about the process.... etc etc etc.

Thanks again my friend!!! ;-)

Guy 57

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/17 4:31 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I have found much more interaction at the post op hospital support groups. I had my surgery at Scottsdale (Honor Health) Bariatrics and they have several pre and post op support groups that they run. Post op they have been helpful for keeping on track but also people really share there. Pre op it seemed people were still figuring out what to do/ trying to justify it. Good luck. Whether or not you do the documentary, this is a good board for support. - Cher

Most Active