Protein Supplement AFTER surgery?

maeburke
on 9/12/17 6:42 pm

Isn't the protein powder really sweet? I bought a big container of vanilla and it was sweet... after surgery I can't do sweet.

Cathy H.
on 9/12/17 6:45 pm, edited 9/12/17 11:48 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Unflavored is not sweet, at least neither of the ones I used were (Isopure Zero Unflavored, and Syntax Nectar Unflavored). I am hyper sensitive to sweet post-surgery, and I had to add sweetener to mine. Check the ingredients to make sure there isn't already added sucralose or something. I have some flavored ones that definitely do have added sweetener and taste sweet.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

maeburke
on 9/12/17 7:02 pm

Thank You, I will look for unflavored..

kitmouse
on 9/5/17 5:27 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

I liked Premier Protein before surgery, but I struggle to get it down now. Primarily my protein drink is Bariatric Choice syrups--little individual packets of syrup you pour into water that mix instantly. I like the mixed berry and the green tea with cranberry flavors. I drink them daily. I also add a sprinkle of Crystal Light to them to change the flavore a bit (Cherry pomegranate, fruit punch, or pink lemonade primarily). You can find them on Amazon. 15 grams of protein each, and I think $12 for a box of seven packets.

catwoman7
on 9/5/17 7:03 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I liked most of the Syntrax and Unjury products - I couldn't taste the protein in either brand. I was never a fan of Premier - I had to hold my nose to get it down.

we were told to stick to 100% whey protein isolate early out (later on you're probably OK with an occasional blend once you're getting most of your protein from food). Check the brands because not all of them are 100% whey protein isolate. Syntrax Nectar line IS (Syntrax Matrix line is NOT). Unjury products are also 100% whey isolate.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Grim_Traveller
on 9/5/17 10:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I second what catwoman said about 100% whey protein isolate.

I never found a premixed shake I liked. Others love them.

Most powders need to be mixed with milk or similar to taste ok. But the Syntrax Nectars and a few others are meant to be mixed with water, which saves some calories.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Valerie G.
on 9/8/17 7:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I highly recommend several brands and flavors. You can get single serving packets and try them after surgery (this is important, because tastes change post-op). Do this before you invest in any big tubs of anything. I couldn't say anything was particularly good. Just pick something that doesn't suck and do your best to eat your protein requirement by eating strategically.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mell
on 9/8/17 7:55 am

I cannot tolerate Whey protein so I use Jay Robbs egg white protein. Vanilla mostly since I can add stuff to change the flavor. At almost 11 years out I still use them to get back on track, I will also use a 2% fage yogurt it has 21 or so grams of protein and under 200 calories, the fat keeps me full in the mornings and I blend it with frozen veggies, spinach, cucumbers, celery, beets and a lemon or orange wedge. I LOVE IT. because of all the real ingredients and it not being sweet (you will get sick of sweet stuff).

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

theAntiChick
on 9/8/17 8:15 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Ditto what everyone says about tastes changing.

I got sample sets from every supplier I could find, and found only 2 flavors I really liked prior to surgery. (I have a VERY picky palate.) I bought tubs of both of those, only to find out post-op that I couldn't stand them. Luckily, after surgery I did like the Premier Protein ready-to-drink and it's easily available at Sam's/WalMart.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten 2 sets of the samples, one for pre-op and one for post-op. Just working through the samples covered my protein for a week or more.

Also, find an unflavored protein powder that you like the way it dissolves in things. I found in the first few days post-op (and have heard it from many others as well) that I got insanely sick of the sweet flavors. Unjury has a decent protein chicken broth mix, but I preferred to mix unflavored powder into boullion. (The trick to avoiding clumping with hot fluids is to mix the powder with a little lukewarm water/liquid to get it dissolved, and then add that to the hot liquid.) You will find a lot of things you can add protein to as your diet advances, and that helps because it gets you back to "normal" food.

Also, Syntrax Nectars freeze really well. I got ice pop style ziplock tube/bags from Amazon and froze up the Roadside Lemonade flavor and that was another thing that really helped post-op. They are also a nice change from the thick milky shakes.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Most Active