Question - Tracking weight over time with daily weigh-ins?

theAntiChick
on 8/31/17 9:20 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My old scale was analog and while I thought it was fairly consistent, it wasn't accurate at all. I always had to add 5# to the reading to get what matched my doctor's scale. And being analog, I wasn't getting weight to the tenths of a pound. After I fired it over the Onderland issue, I got a new scale that appears to be quite accurate. And so I've been weighing every day. Getting precise readings every day, I'm seeing the daily fluctuations I didn't get with my old scale.

So I'm wondering, for those who weigh daily, do you change your weight in your trackers every day, or once a week? (Or another schedule?) And if you don't change your recorded weight daily, how do you do it... on a specific day? With an average? With the lowest/highest for the week? Whatever the weight is on weigh-in day? Some other statistical method? Do you do anything different in maintenance than when you were losing?

I don't want to get caught up in the daily numbers, because I don't want to obsess about the fluctuations that are normal. But I do want to look at trends in a way that will help me be successful. Part of me wants to record the lowest weight for the week, but I don't imagine that's the best approach. And I'm probably overthinking it. :D

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Kathy S.
on 8/31/17 9:58 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I will be honest, once I got away from my complications I was on that scale every day It motivated me at first but as you said, especially us being women it started to fluctuate daily and I would lose my mind. Did I forget to weigh something? Did I eat too much? Did I eat the wrong thing? Maybe I didn't move enough?

I posted on the forums and everyone said step away from the scale and they were right.

I weighed once a week but also used my monthly before and afters, measurements and the increase in my energy and strength to motive me and keep me going to goal.

PS....I have an old fashion doctors scale and will never trade it for a computer one ever.

Good Luck

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

theAntiChick
on 8/31/17 10:39 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I don't fret over fluctuations, but I love having the data. It's interesting to me how weights fluctuate day to day.

I wish I had a beam doctor's scale. But I am not going to lay out the money for that, especially since I have one available at my gym. :) I like my new scale (Weight Gurus) and the bluetooth app so I can work with the raw data. It also does the bioimpedence for fat/muscle/water but that's just interesting data, nothing I'm "going by".

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Cathy H.
on 8/31/17 10:00 am, edited 8/31/17 3:05 am
VSG on 10/31/16

For the tracker here? I only change mine when the weight drops. I'm using it to follow my progress to my goal, not as a regular way to see my ups and downs. I have an app on my phone I do that with, and on that one I enter the weight once a week on a specific day (Wednesday in my case), even though I weigh every morning. I know daily weights fluctuate for all kinds of reasons, so I don't let it get to me, but I still want to know. I like to see how it goes along the same for a few days and then WHAMMO, weight gone! I love that lol

I also don't believe in 10ths of pounds. Mine weighs that way, but I ignore the 10ths.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/31/17 10:02 am

average. My weight can fluctuate within 5 lbs in any week. I only look at the average for any 7 days.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

FluffyChix
on 8/31/17 11:14 am

me=super nerdy. I keep a spread sheet of my daily weight with relation to waist size, total cals, protein, fat, carbs, fiber, and net carbs. Snort. I also know how many days it takes me to "clear" through a decade of weight. While this IS obsessive and not for everyone, it's helped me to connect with my macro needs and has given me a few surprises!

I only change my ticker once I'm down a few pounds--no set schedule. LOL. One of my nerdherd goals was to reach the "next level" on my ticker "237." I was so excited yesterday to get to 238.2 that I changed it pre-maturely lol, and it looks like I'm at 237. I will be over the moon when I move beyond it.

Um, it's the little things in life that keep me highly amused! *snort*

catwoman7
on 8/31/17 11:53 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I weigh myself every day but only record my weight on Wednesdays (only because I had my surgery on a Wednesday). It makes it easier to see long-term trends that way, and I don't really care about one- or two-pound fluctuations (which are most likely due to water retention or bathroom backup)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

reree6898
on 8/31/17 12:36 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I am a daily weigher however I am more into maintenance at this point. However, when I was in the major losing phases I still weighed daily but only recorded my weight from Saturday mornings onto my fitness pal and a spread sheet that I kept.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Erin T.
on 8/31/17 1:08 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I have an Aria scale and I weigh daily. I know for me that not doing so would be bad. It links to TrendWeight (linked in my signature).

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

peachpie
on 8/31/17 1:46 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I weigh daily. At this point i I update my ticker when I remember to. I'm always within 3-5# of the ticker weight; so I generally don't worry about it.

My scale logs my daily weights to MFP. I kept my average weight for the prior 7 days readings for a long time- but don't do that any more either.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active