Anyone who has had an RNY reversal

CJohnston
on 8/22/17 9:52 am
Thanks for the information. I dont think i will do a reversal anytime soon and i dont even think i can find a doctor who would. I just notice alot of complications people experience and they just blow it off as part of the surgery. I am very young to have had this surgery and i have to think further down the road at all the outcomes to what i did to myself.
catwoman7
on 8/22/17 10:10 am
RNY on 06/03/15

actually, most people don't have complications - and of those who do, they're usually minor, like strictures. It probably has more to do with the fact that people who have complications are more likely to publicize it than people who've never had any problems.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/22/17 10:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Also, many of the people who have long-term complications do not follow their surgeons' instructions. Noncompliance is dangerous.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MarinaGirl
on 8/22/17 3:15 pm

I haven't had any complications from my gastric bypass.

Like many, it was hard to get in my fluids and protein right after surgery but that didn't last long and once I did I felt much better.

I also believe that a majority of the long term complications are from non-compliance, assuming one's surgeon was more than competent.

2bthereagain
on 8/23/17 5:08 am

Hello, I'm new - only 9 days post op, but I have been reading these boards for about 7 months. I'm going to go out on a limb and respond since I also read your earlier posts.

Please don't be offended, but are still taking pain meds? The reason I am asking is some of the side effects of pain meds (such as gabapentin, oxy, and loratab) are the overall feelings of being unwell. I knew this going in and it still happened to me.

Quick story, my son had surgery when he was 16 to correct his chest wall - it was major surgery. He was prescribed oxy and gabapentin. He was doing very well and was having an amazing recovery with zero complications. And then after about 7 days, he began to be remorseful and depressed and worse than that, he had this looming sense of 'unwellness'. I began researching the side effects of his medicines and whala! Each of those feelings he was having was listed as a side effect. Pair this with the effects of the anethesia and all the meds they give you for pain in the hospital, and well, it's a lot.

Fast forward to my own RNY surgery last week, I had surgery on the 14th and was discharged the next day with oxy and gabapentin. I was/am doing amazingly well. On day 5, I had an overwhelming sense of 'unwellness' creep in. That was Friday. On Saturday night I dediced no more pain medicine. I would take the Tylenol only and let the chips fall where they may. By Sunday afternoon I was whole new person.

Maybe this isn't at all what is going on with you. But if it helps one person by having posted it, then it will be worth it.

Moral of the story, get off the pain meds asap.

Lisa

CJohnston
on 8/23/17 5:16 am, edited 8/22/17 10:16 pm
  • I haven't taken pain mess since I was in the hospital. I don't like pain meds for that exact reason.
diane S.
on 8/27/17 10:01 am

Unrelated, but did your son have pectus excavatum? My brother had surgery to correct this 5 years ago and it has been great for him. Really helped him. Hope it helped your son. And yeah, they gave him oxy and he hated it so we switched to vicodin but he was off it pretty quick. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

2bthereagain
on 8/27/17 10:05 am

Yes, he did! Since discovering this I continue to be amazed at how common it is. He has had a great result. He has 2 bars and they come out summer of 2018. He has a gloriously beautiful chest now, if I do say so myself!

diane S.
on 8/27/17 10:08 am

My brother was in his 50's and they don't usually do that surgery on people that age but he was very fit and flexible. Total success. His ribs were squishing his heart. He also had two bars. He is in a video on the Mayo Clinic website for this procedure. I took care of him through it. Its been great and brother has really buffed out. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

2bthereagain
on 8/27/17 10:10 am

I bet Dr. J did his? That is who did my son's.

Most Active