Sweat smells like urine

pr31
on 8/17/17 6:48 am

Very interesting. After DH and I finished some really heavy yardwork earlier this week and threw our sweaty clothes in the laundry hamper I kept smelling what I thought was cat pee. But it was the sweaty clothes - really not sure if it was mine or his because they were both together. I'll have to keep an eye (or nose) out to see if I notice it in the future. I know neither one of us were drinking enough and it was really hot/humid, so maybe that was the cause for him/me.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

SkinnyScientist
on 8/16/17 11:25 am

Are you diabetic?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

peachpie
on 8/16/17 12:09 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Nope- just got my glucose/A1c levels checked- both are normal

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/17 11:29 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Typically eating some carbs before a workout fixes this if there is no underlying liver/kidney disease.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/16/17 11:52 am

dehydration, too much ammonia in your system. Protein metabolism for energy instead of fat.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 8/16/17 8:51 pm

HALA- there ARE genetic conditions where one does not clear ammonia properly (liver enzymes and/or kidney issues). They would have caught that? No? I mean, how hard is it to look for a SNP and correlate it to enzyme activity? I made a grad school career out of doing that..

Returning to Peach-what is the likihood that she would have been missed her whole entire life?

The fact that she notices the smell NOW makes me think it is a more immediate/local/parasitic thing like yeast. If she smelled weird in HS...someone would have told her...ya think?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/17 3:58 am

The doc had to look for it and run tests. Some tests are expensive and some tests are not needed unless there is an issue.

I always say that most lab work just show a glimpse of what is going on in our bodies at that specific moment the blood was taken. Some tests are showing more long term - like ferritin and A1C, but any other tests - ezymes, vitamins, hormones- only show a moment in time. A few days after my B12 shot my B12 show as normal - high. But if I wait 7- 10 days ,- it drops to 400's or below. My hormonal level can change every minute... And some hormones may not even be detectable even if my body has them.

Genetic tests are often done if there is a serious issues and often it is optional.

Hard workout-cardio with mostly protein as food source - may cause the body breaking proteins as fuel. That is not good because it shows that the body is not burning fat. Plus it may really affect the kidney and liver. If I were here I would make an appointment with a dog and have the kidney function test - and I would try to get exercise just before the test, to see how heavy workout affect my kidney. There damage may be intermittent.

If I were her - I would try to get more fat in my diet to promote fat burning, fat that is difficult for body to store but it is preferred source of energy. Those fates are short and medium chain fatty acids- found in mono- fats, omegas 3, (avocado, olives, walnuts,) and coconut, goat milk.etc.

Slowing down the exercises and providing the body with fat that is easier to burn may force the body to start burning more fat. Sometimes slow and steady it's better for weight loss- fat loss than very cardio-intensive exercise.

Note: Every above statements are based on my personal experience and extensive research in that area. Research that is continuing showing us new things and theories. A lot of them are theories - some semi proven by results some just educated gueses of people who think they figured things out.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 8/17/17 8:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Conveniently enough- I'd just have complete blood work done on the 11th, and labs were drawn a few hours after my spin class. Liver Enzymes/kidney tests were normal. I finally took the time to chart out all my results so I can monitor trends- they have been testing normal for the past three years.

I'm going to work on the increased pre-work out carb/water angle first, then see if I also need to look at fat intake. I don't limits fats in any way really- so I think I'd have trouble finding more.

hollykim
on 8/16/17 1:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you sure you aren't having urine dribble and not being aware of it, especially since your son has noticed. This the first time he priced also?

peachpie
on 8/16/17 2:00 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm pretty certain sure it's not urine incontinence. When my son said he noticed, he said he was getting a laundry bag out of my room, and was near wear I hang my sports bras to dry-out after working out. So it wasn't me- it was the bra that he's smelled.

Most Active