Having a really hard time since surgery (5 years ago). Anyone that has experienced the...

ringonotadog
on 8/16/17 9:15 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 01/05/12

I had gastric bypass surgery (Mini-gastric bypass, lost 15kg) 5 years ago and ever since then I have depression and anxiety, chronic fatigue, insomnia, suicidal thoughts, lack of motivation, random food intolerances, sleepiness after meals, very slow digestion, periods of diarrhea/constipation...

Bloodwork doesn't show anything, but we're waiting for more tests. My weight is normal (145 pounds/66kg, 175cm/5.7''). My thyroid antibodies are sky high but my TSH is normal (1.8). I haven't been able to work or do anything for the last 5 years. Anything that is stimulant or that alters my metabolism is devastating to my health and energy (alcohol, caffeine, nicotine...). I've also tried psychiatric treatment (antidepressants and stimulants) without success, so I'm sure it's not a mental health problem.

LissaK
on 8/16/17 9:51 am
RNY on 12/21/16

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. I think I may be misreading your post. You started out before surgery at 81 kg (178 pounds) and are 175 cm (5'8")? Was the mini gastric bypass a revision of a previous surgery?

Elevated thyroid antibodies are not normal, even if your TSH is in the normal range. It sounds like they are still waiting for some further testing. I hope you get good answers.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/16/17 9:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Mind if I ask what types of psych treatment you tried? I have bipolar and it took me (literally) YEARS to find the right combination of medications. Unfortunately, it's a trial-and-error process.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

HonestOmnivore
on 8/16/17 11:33 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Did you have psychiatric treatment beyond medications?

CBT or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is one of the best options available and can often be completed in only 12 weeks. Even if you issues are 100% physical, the impact of CBT can greatly improve your quality of life.

Good luck!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/17 12:28 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

It sounds like you are experiencing a lot of depression and anxiety symptoms and that maybe having surgery triggered this depression for you. I hope you find a combination of therapy and medication that makes you feel better! It can take a lot of trial and error before you find what works.

Gina 22 years out
on 8/17/17 6:06 am - Burleson, TX

What are the "further tests"?

What was your medical history, prior to 5 years ago?

Was there a question/warning, in your post?

No doubt, I am just more dense, than usual, this morning :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

kitmouse
on 8/17/17 9:39 am
RNY on 07/27/17

Elevated thyroid antibodies? Has a doctor determined if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis? All the symptoms you've listed can be indicative of thyroid issues.

* Nicole *
on 8/19/17 3:47 am

Get checked out for an autoimmune disorder or syndrome.

Im in no way shape or form depressed, yet I have all these same issues. After going into shock 4 times and a year and a half of tests found I have mast cell activation syndrome. All my labs came back perfectly normal and well within range except a couple "odd" readings that seemed to have no explaination.

It wasnt triggered by my WLS, its been there my whole life. Come to find out it was the cause of my obesity (rare effect but not unheard of).

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Most Active