Insurance rejection and appeals

gypsyqueen80
on 8/16/17 7:23 am

Has anyone had a first time rejection from your insurance company and then got approved on a appeal? My insurance does not cover bariatrics but my doctor is deeming my surgery medically necessary so she told me it would get approved. So frustrated right now. I have severe gerd and diverticulosis. 2 doctor referrals, ekg, upper GI, manoscopy all showing I have bad acid reflux. If anyone has gone through this any advice would be much appreciated!! I am trying to get my VSG revised to RNY

Grim_Traveller
on 8/16/17 7:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Lots of people are denied for various reasons, and appeal successfully.

EXCEPT:

If your policy explicitly states that it does not cover bariatric surgery, it's 99.9 percent sure you are out of luck. Whoever bought the policy saved some money because it excluded certain things, like bariatrics. There's really no way out, with that policy.

It's like buying homeowners insurance that covers fire, but specifically says it does not cover floods. You can pay extra for that, but if it is written as an exclusion, that's pretty much it.

You can look into changing policies to one that will cover it. or look into self-pay. I've seen many that go to Mexico for surgery for much less money than insurance copays cost locally.

Good luck. Don't give up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

gypsyqueen80
on 8/16/17 7:44 am

That's what I kind of figured but my surgeon was insistent that because it's deemed medically necessary they would cover it as it is coded differently. Mexico it is. I have been before. Just wanted to be closer to home for my revision. Thank you!

hollykim
on 8/16/17 7:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 16, 2017 at 2:44 PM Pacific Time, gypsyqueen80 wrote:

That's what I kind of figured but my surgeon was insistent that because it's deemed medically necessary they would cover it as it is coded differently. Mexico it is. I have been before. Just wanted to be closer to home for my revision. Thank you!

my insurance excluded it also. I was submitted as medically necessary and was still denied.

That is Linda the point of having an exclusion. It is an iron clad way to get out of paying , medical necessity or not.

gypsyqueen80
on 8/16/17 8:45 am

It's Jenny and again my doctor and insurance company both stated it can be approved when deemed medically necessary. They have gotten approvals in the past even with the exclusion. We actually had our VSG around the same time holly kim. I remember you from 2010, you went to ds right? Did you have to go back to Mexico for your revision?

hollykim
on 8/16/17 10:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 16, 2017 at 3:45 PM Pacific Time, gypsyqueen80 wrote:

It's Jenny and again my doctor and insurance company both stated it can be approved when deemed medically necessary. They have gotten approvals in the past even with the exclusion. We actually had our VSG around the same time holly kim. I remember you from 2010, you went to ds right? Did you have to go back to Mexico for your revision?

hey, yes I did go back to me for my ds. I hope it works out as they say for you. If your employer self funds your policy, it might work that way. Hope so.

Valerie G.
on 8/16/17 9:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's your employer that chooses a policy to exclude wls, so perhaps bringing the letter of medical necessity to them and sharing that you intend to go to Mexico because they don't support their employees health might increase your chances.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/16/17 7:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

It's great that your doctor told you your surgery would get approved. Unfortunately, your doctor is NOT your insurance company. S/he probably doesn't know the particulars of your insurance situation, so I wouldn't take the doctor's word as law.

Call the insurance company, use the number on the back of your ID card. Do they have a blanket exclusion on bariatrics, even if medically necessary? If so, you're going to be out of luck on coverage.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

gypsyqueen80
on 8/16/17 7:45 am

I did contact my insurance company previously and they told me it is excluded but when surgeries are deemed medically necessary they can get approved. It goes on a case by case basis.

peachpie
on 8/16/17 9:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Sounds like you were misled by a likely inexperienced phone representative.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active