AA and food triggers

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/17 8:43 am

Over the past few weeks I have been feeling very cranky. Very. I try to stay positive. But sometimes I am just freaking tired.

Well I am one year and five months sober. Trust me I am truly happy about that. I really am.

We were talking about what can be a trigger for someone to drink. We all came to the conclusion it really didn't matter. Any day could trigger drinking.

The suns out lets drink. Or it's raining lets drink. Oh it's my birthday you know so on and so on.

So with food I have been thinking it didn't really have to be a holiday or any reason for me to eat crap. It was just to eat it because I could.

Trust me I am not making small of people major life problems. I know there are so many people who suffer from so many things. That I am not sure I could handle.

This is something I really needed to post for me. Why did I eat the piece lemon bar in Wawa. I could.

Taking a inventory of why I do a lot of things. Thank goodness for my therapy.

Valerie G.
on 8/13/17 8:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Just like with alcohol, addictive tendencies can transfer from one thing to another. That's why so many people with wls wind up with drug or alcohol problems. It's not the wls to blame, but their addition transferring to another form when they cannot be comforted by food. The tools you've learned with AA work with all kinds of addictive behaviors, so rest assured you have what it takes to overcome these urges, no matter what form they take. You have proven your strength!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 8/13/17 8:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm reminded of a WW as I saw a while back that really spoke to me. It started with "if you're happy and you know it eat a snack" but then went through tons of other emotions. "If you're sad and you know it eat a snack." If you're angry, if you're sleepy, if you're bored... etc.

And I thought, "Yes. This is me." I was an emotional eater. All the emotions.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Doriam R.
on 8/13/17 5:54 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

That was my mantra Gwen, so very sad...

Insert Fitness
on 8/15/17 3:48 am

I had this conversation with my sisters. Most info about emotional eating focus only on the negative emotions. But happy/celebration, contentment even... many of us attach certain foods to the whole spectrum of emotions.

Feeling a feeling? I got a snack for that!!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Rachel B.
on 8/13/17 2:45 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I just passed five years myself, and this has come to mind for me as well. I remember five years ago, sitting in meetings, eating cookies and cake as I got sober from drinking my weight back on... You're so right, sun up, sun down, happy, sad, rich or poor. It's so important to realize that there is so much more to life than what you put in your mouth.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

karenp8
on 8/13/17 5:52 pm - Brighton, IL

And that what we put in our mouth doesn't take the emotion away or make anything better. It just makes us miserable instead. It's a daily struggle but we can do it one choice at a time.

Rachel B.
on 8/14/17 9:34 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Amen

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/17 5:36 am

That is awesome being sober for five years. It is amazing that it is easier to stop drinking than it is eating though.

I don't eat cookies at meetings. I make sure I go right after dinner and have a decaf coffee. I do want something that I have planned I do take it with me so it will be gone at the meetings.

It keeps me to eating just one and not the whole box. Moderation is one thing is hard when there are trigger foods in the house.

I started also making lists of what I can eat. A vet her name is Kim she told me to do that. It does help.

I should have told you how awesome you are doing being sober sooner. But sometimes I need a break from the forums.

I do know that I need to come here to keep myself in check. Gong away from them can lead to weight gain for me. Or just a pity party were I want to say Eff it who cares.

Congratulations for sharing about being sober for five years.

Rachel B.
on 8/19/17 7:56 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Cross addiction needs to be talked about because it creeps up and can grab you before you know it. It's so important to be able to recognize as many of the land mines as possible. The support we have here is invaluable.

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

Most Active