Severe Burping, Anyone?

missc_26
on 8/13/17 3:16 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi there

I found to maximise the benefit of probiotics is to include prebiotics. I make kefir water at home but you can buy kefir yoghurt which can be super helpful. Usually you can buy the kefir grains via a health food store or even a lot of people will give them away as they self populate. It's pretty easy to make and much cheaper than store bought. I've tried kombucha but it's too fizzy for me and that's not much help when you suffer from nasty burps!

There is also an excellent protein powder called RAW whi*****ludes prebiotic (and I take my high strength probiotic with this). Not sure if this brand is available where you are but there may be others too.

It may also be a reaction to something you are eating. I found i now get terrible burps/painful gas from kale or lentils - go figure.

I hope you find some relief. Take care.

AngMay68
on 8/14/17 3:48 am - Vero Beach, FL

Thank you so much! Several years ago my nutritionist was having me use kefir to make my protein shakes.....with all the stress and changes in my life, I'd honestly forgotten about it.

I also tried kombucha, letting it sit and go flat first, but it made me worse, too.

I've heard of the protein powder, so I'll check it out, too.

xoxoxo

Be Love ~ Be Light ~ Be Magic

Janet P.
on 8/14/17 9:16 am

Have you done an elimination diet to see if it might be something you're eating that's causing this. Could be you've developed an allergy to something (not sure if you do any type of protein shake or other supplement).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

AngMay68
on 8/14/17 9:48 am, edited 8/14/17 2:48 am - Vero Beach, FL

Thank you ~ Yes, that was my first step. Absolutely nothing makes it better or worse at this point.

Caff
on 8/14/17 6:40 pm

Did it begin right after surgery or increase with time?

I am wonder if it could be neurological. Look up "excessive supragastric belching", which is caused by muscular disfunction, sometimes following surgery.

I have no medical training but I have a neurological condition and have heard of this before. It may be worth your while to consult a neurologist, perhaps ask your doctors what they think?

I hope you get it resolved soon.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

AngMay68
on 8/14/17 7:12 pm - Vero Beach, FL

Wow ~ Thank you so much!

My RNY was in 2008, and this started intermittently in 2014/15 after my gallbladder removal and Petersen's hernia repair. It's been progressing, and I am now on Day 16 of non-stopbelching/pain.

My primary care physician, who is basically heading up the current treatment team, mentioned this to me this morning. I actually started Baclofen this evening ~ that, or the combination of it with the Xanax, is starting to show some slight relief. I'm definitely going to look into this further.

xoxoxo

BETH6536
on 8/17/17 11:57 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

There are some foods that cause me to belch and it can be painful. It's usually a carb I shouldn't have eaten.

My main problem is similar - hiccups. I drink a lot of water (only have one kidney) but sometimes it's too much and too quick and I hiccup uncontrollably and sound like a bird chirping. It's incredibly embarrassing.

Hope you find relief soon!

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

AngMay68
on 8/18/17 5:44 pm - Vero Beach, FL

Thank you ~ Starting to get some answers

Most Active