After surgery life

Jester
on 8/15/17 7:48 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

I think one of the other issues is that so much of the "anti-drug" education/propaganda is outdated and/or flat out lies. My wife used to teach these classes on a volunteer basis for our local school and it made me so frustrated that they perpetuated these lies. "Marijuana is a gateway drug", "Smoking a joint is 100x worse for your health than 1 cigarette", etc.

When you aren't honest with these kids, they WILL eventually find out. Once they find out SOME of what you told them is total BS they will only naturally assume MUCH of what you told them is BS. Be honest. Some drugs are worse than others. Alcohol (IMHO) is one of the worst. Just because it's legal doesn't make it less harmful. But, for some reason "hey kids, you really don't need this crap in your body, especially when you are still developing, but if you're going to do it, smoking a bowl is probably a lot better for you than drinking" just isn't gonna fly in our society.....unfortunately.

Valerie G.
on 8/11/17 2:53 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

During the first year post-op, your body is losing weight very rapidly, which puts a strain on your liver. To add alcohol at the same time can cause permanent liver damage. For this reason, they say you should not drink at all during this phase, which usually lasts about a year.

After that, many recommend against drinking EVER because of cross-addiction tendencies. Those who are addicted to food can easily transfer their addiction to alcohol or drugs or sex...whatever, when they no longer get comfort from food. Alcohol is an easy target for this, because it hits us SOOOO fast.

If you do choose to drink, be aware of these risks, and have a wingman, because you will be LIT UP before you get halfway down your glass. You need someone to keep you out of trouble.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy1212
on 8/12/17 1:01 pm

Hi,

Congrats on going through the process of getting surgery at such a young age.

I have a friend like your Mum; she had her surgery 9 years ago and has the occasional drink and is fine with it. She knew the risk of developing an addiction and decided to try it anyway. She was lucky. She says the alcohol hits her quickly and she's out of it on half a glass of wine.

She rarely drinks, maybe 6 times a year.

I'm 6 months out and have never been a drinker. I'd have the occasional glass of Bailey's mixed with milk for New Years Eve, or a Vodka cooler at a summer BBQ once in a blue moon, but never more than 1 drink, maybe 2 times a year. So for me it's no big deal to never have it again as I was never into it.

I personally don't think it's worth the risk to try it, even a year or two post op. I already know I have an addictive personality due to food addictions, so I don't want to take the chance on developing an addiction to alcohol.

There will always be people who are OK after trying a drink after weight loss surgery. But there are also people who would be OK if they crossed the street without looking both ways and were lucky enough to not get hit...it doesn't make it a good idea.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

TheRealMeWithin
on 8/13/17 6:38 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

The fact that you write that it 'saddened' you a little to have the therapist tell you to find something else to do than drink with friends sounds like a red flag. You should really find another way to 'unwind' from a tough work schedule. Just because others who have had the surgery drink, doesn't mean it will work for you.

Just my 2cents.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Janet P.
on 8/14/17 9:33 am, edited 8/15/17 1:26 am

I haven't read all the responses but here goes. You are making a choice to have WLS. If you want to go out with friends, there's nothing wrong with going out and having something other than alcohol. Ultimately you may be able to enjoy an adult beverage every once in a while. That is your decision.

I didn't have any alcohol for at least a year after my surgery (I had the DS and I was 46 years old at the time of my surgery).

You have to decide what's more important.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active