New Therapy for me - ABBT

Deanna798
on 8/10/17 9:49 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, I finally have dived into this ABBT therapy with my new therapist. I am realizing through therapy that a lot of my issues, or I might as well just say, ALL of my issues revolve around anxiety. As explained by my therapist, the concept of anxiety, in itself, is not a bad thing. It's a useful tool for us when we are in stressful situations. The problem with MY anxiety is that it is nearly constant.

So far with the Acceptance Based Behavior Therapy, with a focus on Mindfulness, I've spent a lot of time filling out questionaires and discussing aspects of my life, where they rank in importance, how satisfied I am with where they are, and what I would like to change about them.

yesterday's session was when we actually started working on Mindfulness, and did a breathing exercise to help me focus. I was also sent home with homework and some log sheets to fill out. It feels nice to have something to do to work toward managing my issues.

So far I am very happy with this form of therapy. I've mentioned before that I've seen therapists, but it always seemed like sitting and talking and never actually DOING anything. Nevermind that I have 15 to 20 years on my therapist (she is a graduate student working at the Psychology Clinic). I really like the way things are moving and I can feel a change already.

Here is a link to an article about ABBT on the Anxiety.org website. I found it interesting.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mschwab
on 8/10/17 10:56 am
RNY on 11/21/14

So glad to hear that you found something that you believe will be helpful to you. I just saw your two year post and am so happy for you and all of the success you've had. You've always been very transparent about your struggles along the way, but have managed to find a way through them to where you are today. Congratulations on a job well done. You mentioned that you are happy with your tummy tuck, but didn't mention your breast lift. Are you happy with that too? My next round of plastics is on 10/2 and it is a breast lift and arms.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Deanna798
on 8/10/17 10:59 am, edited 8/10/17 3:59 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Oh, I LOVE my lift as well. It's not as dramatic, because my bra pretty much pushed them up, so it's easy to forget about them. The tuck was dramatic in the way my clothes fit. But, I put a top on the other day without a bra and marveled at how perky those babies were! LOL

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

mschwab
on 8/10/17 11:04 am
RNY on 11/21/14

Yay for no bra! I love my tummy tuck too. I wore a two piece bathing suit to a resort pool a couple of weeks ago. It was surreal. My tummy hadn't seen the sun in over 30 years. Can't wait for my breast lift and arms. Will be so happy to get rid of my flying squirrel wings.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Deanna798
on 8/11/17 5:22 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I've been lucky with my arms and legs, they aren't really that bad. BUT, since I had my tuck and lift, my arms are really bothering me more. I think especially in my arm pit area. I'm not going to do it this year, but I'll likely go and have my arms done eventually. I think I want to get back to working out and see how it looks when I tone up my arms and put on some muscle before I decide.

I better get on that ASAP.

Donna L.
on 8/11/17 6:27 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's great, Deanna! Good luck! I hope it works out for you :)

I think the acceptance-based therapies are wonderful, especially for some kinds of anxiety. Sometimes it takes us a while to find a good counselor. I deliberately try to always get older counselors because 20 year olds make me grumpy sometimes, heh.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Deanna798
on 8/11/17 6:42 am
RNY on 08/04/15

She's gotta be in her late 20s, at least. Maybe mid 20s. She's actually not so bad.

Librarian67
on 8/11/17 10:31 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Congrats on finding something that works for you! That is really key to success.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

AggieMae
on 8/12/17 6:21 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Mindfulness exercises were a big part of my pre op program. The things I learned make all the difference during stressful times.

Most Active