Kathy s WLS Journey - What Is That Dragging Behind Me? It's my Skin!

Kathy S.
on 8/7/17 1:19 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

May 5, 2005

I thought it was time for me to talk skin.... I know in my head that skin would be an issue but I never dreamed in a million years that it would be this bad. If I open my arms and there is a stiff wind I would have lift off. The "sisters" didn't just go south they left the building!!! The mid section is bad and I expected that and even the inner thighs and butt are soooo bad.

I KNOW that I will never be happy with my body as it, but as you read my profile the thought of going under the knife the number of times needed to "fix" everything scares me to death.

Of course I am at 162, and going to see the surgeon next week. But if I get down to where I think I need to be in the 120's it will be awhile and I have time to research and think. I know the surgeons don't mention this potential said effect, they say just concentrate on losing the weight then we will deal with any skin issues. But I think they need to make it part of their consultation. Not that it would make a difference in having the surgery, but I can start saving monies sooner.

Take care,
Kathy

Updated thoughts - sadly insurance rarely pays for PS now a days as this post was back in 2005. Looking back for me having all the skin removed was as big a factor for me keeping the weight off as anything. It was key for me and how I felt about myself. It was really bad people. After being over weight all my life and losing over 200 pounds the best way to describe it was I looked like a melting woman. My insurance denied my claim the first go around. But when they received the color photos of all my open wounds and rashes they approved it. Yes, my husband great insurance at the time and I feel so lucky!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy1212
on 8/8/17 10:16 am

So glad you were able to get the surgeries you needed.

I had no idea loose skin would float. I was having a bath and my tummy skin floated to the surface, lol.

I have this weird new past time of kneading my belly like it's pizza dough; it's like a giant stress ball. I hope to God I won't do it in public as it's very addictive, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathy S.
on 8/8/17 11:27 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Back at old house I had the most amazing whirlpool tub and you are so right. After my weight loss I would sit there and look at the stomach skin floating and thinking it could be used for to save someone as a floatie

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy1212
on 8/8/17 11:41 am

For sure, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy