nutritionist objections?

theAntiChick
on 8/7/17 9:18 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I blessedly only had to visit the NUT once. That was a waste of time and whatever I ended up paying.

In most states, anyone can hang a shingle and call themselves a nutritionist. Every one I have ever met has been caught up in fad diets and/or pushing craziness like the $600 blood test this one wanted me to take. It supposedly would tell me what foods I should eat or not eat for my personalized nutrition, and what foods I'm allergic to without knowing it.

I won't ever trust advice from a NUT.

I just signed up with Good Measures, they use registered dieticians and have many who are experienced with bariatric surgery, at least according to the blog I read the review of them on. I'll report back after I've been using them a while. RDs at least are actually trained and have passed board examinations. They're not always 100%, but they tend to not get caught up in fads and they actually understand the nuances of nutritional needs and have been trained to help people change their diets for the better.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

diane S.
on 8/7/17 11:25 am

My surgeon had very detailed (like 50 pages) on what to eat and what not to eat which was about 600 cal of mostly protein, some veggies and very few carbs. His staff nutritionist supported this. But I have seen other surgeons whose dietitians say eat cream of wheat and mashed potatoes which I think is a big no no. So follow your instincts if your nut's advice doesn't sound right. diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Valerie G.
on 8/7/17 2:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Wanna have some real fun with a nutritionist? Try going in with a DSer and talk about eating habits. Their heads blow apart.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

teresafr
on 8/7/17 2:50 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

Sounds fun! Hmmmmm....What's a DSer?

Valerie G.
on 8/8/17 8:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

A DSer is one who has has the Duodenal Switch procedure.

We have a sleeve stomach with very aggressive intestinal work to change the way we metabolise food. I eat close to 3000 calories a day, laden with protein and high fat (because I malabsorb 80% of it) and salt (because my BP is naturally low). I eat red meat daily, a stick of butter, and my cholesterol stays around 120.

Nutritionists try to blend us in to eat like RNY patients, and it just doesn't work. We wind up malnourished and constipated following their recommendations, so we put very little value in them and learn from one-another.

Valerie
DS 2005

teresafr
on 8/8/17 11:39 am
RNY on 08/14/17

Wow! That blows MY mind nevermind the nuts! Lol.

Valerie G.
on 8/8/17 12:20 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's not such a bed of roses the first couple of years. We depend on protein drinks like everyone else to get in 100+g necessary, and we have to pay special attention to make sure we are nutritionally healthy. I'm sure you, as a RNY do that as well. Our supplement levels are just different and few medical professionals really get it. Once you get out a ways, though, and can eat all of the protein necessary without protein drinks (I hate them!), life doesn't suck.

Valerie
DS 2005

* Nicole *
on 8/8/17 2:08 pm

Hey Val!

Ok must ask on the cholesterol. Is that your total or just LDL? As I actually get concerned mine might be a bit low....yeah I said low as my Total is 122, with HDL 64 and an LDL of 46, and VLDL 12 (prior year total 113, hdl 58, ldl 43 and vldl 12). Hell my triglycerides are 58 (they never were elevated pre WLS nor was my cholestrol....as like you I was a shockingly healthy fat person).

As my drs are dumb founded with me....surprise surprise story of my damn life. Im putting together the puzzle pieces and what I am learning is insane. (Im such an engineer, lol).

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Valerie G.
on 8/8/17 2:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

That's my total number. They want me to actully raise one of them (whichever wants me to eat fish, I forget which after a decade) years ago, and I hate fish, so I ate chia seeds like crazy in everything. It hasn't been a problem since.

Valerie
DS 2005

ChristineB
on 8/7/17 6:12 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

Though I do not have time to read all that others have written I do need to write about my bariatric doctor's office and the dietician staff that they have on board. Dana is all on board with what the doctors in my office want for a patient to live before and after they have had bariatric surgery. The staff works in conjunction with the doctors and other nursing staff to make sure that the patient succeeds in the now and future with their decision to have WLS. The office's dietician staff works with all of the rest of the staff (docs, front office, support group, Dieticians (NUTS as others have called them) - they are RDN's for WLS), Exercise physiologists and other medical staff)

My doc office probably is one of the few in this Rhelm, sad. My male husband and I had RNY in 2003 and are still going strong and have kept our weight off since then.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140