nutritionist objections?

Grim_Traveller
on 8/6/17 8:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If any of the nutritionists I ever met had an eating disorder, it was for anorexia. Not a single one ever had a significant issue being overweight, much less being morbidly obese. That's probably why they are always telling people to eat more. That was their issue, not ours.

Telling the obese or morbidly obese to eat more carbs is poor advice. Telling them to eat more starches is borderline criminal. Telling them to ignore calories, to eat until you are full, or a thousand other bits of wisdom they've showered on us, is just insane.

Not all nutritionists are bad. But blindly following such advice is a very poor path to success.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AggieMae
on 8/12/17 6:24 pm
VSG on 10/25/16
On August 7, 2017 at 3:54 AM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller wrote:

If any of the nutritionists I ever met had an eating disorder, it was for anorexia. Not a single one ever had a significant issue being overweight, much less being morbidly obese. That's probably why they are always telling people to eat more. That was their issue, not ours.

Telling the obese or morbidly obese to eat more carbs is poor advice. Telling them to eat more starches is borderline criminal. Telling them to ignore calories, to eat until you are full, or a thousand other bits of wisdom they've showered on us, is just insane.

Not all nutritionists are bad. But blindly following such advice is a very poor path to success.

True, but all people with eating disorders have similar underlying issues.

BETH6536
on 8/6/17 8:36 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

Thank goodness for this post! I thought it was just me who thought the information from the nut was off base for me.

First of all, I work graveyard 6p-6a and that is noted on my paperwork..please do not call till after 3pm or so. My nut calls at 10am and wants me to recited MG content on my Iron supplements and other supplements. I'm pretty sure I babbled incoherently through most of the conversation. If I didn't have a daughter at home I would just turn that damn phone off.

I have a lot of food allergies and find it so much easier to just eat protein first and then a vegetable, if I have room. My nut must not read my chart because she suggests foods I really shouldn't be eating as well as carbs on me -many of which are wheat and I can't eat. I left the hospital having accidents like a toddler because no one worried (or cared) that the shakes I was given to drink would have a bad reaction.

There is a long term, experienced gentleman on this forum that always has good info (good lord his name escapes me right now) and I take more stock in what he says than my nut. I too learned early on to smile and nod and then look it up.

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/7/17 3:10 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Like PeachPie, my surgeon's nutritionist has never had any issue with my approach (high protein, low carb, under 800 calories during the loss phase) though the early recommended diets for post-op patients have a lot of carbs. I stopped eat the mashed potatoes, etc. recommended pretty quickly after reading what the successful Vets on OH do.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

supershopper
on 8/7/17 5:28 am

my WL center said i could have oatmeal and cream of wheat etc. I wanted this weight off asap so the vets steered me in the right direction. I flat out would have NOT made it to the weight I am if i was eating oatmeal and other crappy carbs in the WL stage.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

White Dove
on 8/7/17 7:34 am - Warren, OH

I just have to say how grateful I am to the nutritionist in my surgeon's office who understands weight loss patients and gives them great advice.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dh101
on 8/7/17 7:53 am
VSG on 06/29/17

My nut is part of the gastric surgery team. My frustration with her was that for the "full liquids" phase the program allowed 'cream soup'. I made my own, I brought in the recipie, prior to surgery I had even brought in samples to show the consistency and portion size ( unfortunately those meetings were with the surgical fellow and the head nurse not the nut).

So at the first meeting with the nut a week after surgery she launches in to this tirade how cream of cauliflower and whitefish was NOT creamed soup. My soup the ingredients were cooked till quite soft then blended until a single creamy texture. I tried to get her to define what she ment by creamed soup. I still have not gotten an answer. What is her recipe? Does she really mean a can of salt? Ok a can of Cambells or Progresso cream of X soup? However given the amount of sodium in those products I might as well eat a tablespoon of salt. The head nurse had to come in at one point, because I could not get any more definition than "cream soup".

At this point I will take what she recommends with a skepticism.

What can I say, I'm an engineer and you have to define your terms first with me. LOL

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Donna L.
on 8/9/17 12:05 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Cream soup means no solids because solids, even pureed, are harder to digest than just plain cream soup. Any solids are hard on new gastrectomies. I think broth is better nutrient wise, particularly bone broth.

For some reason they never explain this well at all, which is highly annoying as a therapist.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

dh101
on 8/17/17 6:43 am
VSG on 06/29/17

Ok... So how do you make cream soup with no solids? Cream and water? Nope that doesn't work because milk fat is solid at room temperature!

All Creamed soups have solids because other wise it would be broth!

As I said... Nobody has been able to define what a creamed soup is if you don't start with ingredients. I understand that new gastrectomies have trouble with solids. I get that even with vertical gastric sleeve, the stomach is trying to heal a major injury in a hostile environment full of acid and bacteria.

If what Nuts mean is commercially CANNED soup and acknowledges that they are full of salt and almost no usable nutrition. Then say so.

At this point I don't really care what they meant because I am WAY past the "full liquid" stage.

As I said... I'm an engineer and you need to define your terms.

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

pammieanne
on 8/7/17 8:10 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I was lucky and only had to see my NUT three times PRIOR to surgery...

After that, I've never been asked to see her again... if I had been, I probably would have politely declined.

If you can show me a NUT that has had RNY/WLS in general, and is successful, I'd probably follow their advice and be more willing to listen to them.

I learned from the best... the folks here that are 5 years out or more, and that are succeeding.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs