Frustration and doubts

SharonLL
on 8/4/17 6:55 pm

I am almost done with my preop diet and have only lost a couple lbs in the first week and this week nothing. I have followed the diet and have not cheated. I'm consuming about 900 calories. I feel if I can't loose on the preop how am I going to lose after surgery? Will lowering the protein help when I'm not drinking so many shakes? Frustrated.

hollykim
on 8/4/17 7:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 5, 2017 at 1:55 AM Pacific Time, SharonLL wrote:

I am almost done with my preop diet and have only lost a couple lbs in the first week and this week nothing. I have followed the diet and have not cheated. I'm consuming about 900 calories. I feel if I can't loose on the preop how am I going to lose after surgery? Will lowering the protein help when I'm not drinking so many shakes? Frustrated.

the preppy diet is not about losing weight. It is about shrinking your liver to make surgery easier.

If you follow the plan, post op you will lose weight.

If you are required to lose weight preppy,, then you need to lower your calories to 800.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 8/4/17 7:06 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

You will do fine. The pre op is mostly about shrinking your liver. You will be fine. Your body isn't used to burning fat yet it will take a little bit. Don't worry about it! Stick to the plan and keep your protein up.

mirandaF
on 8/4/17 9:20 pm
RNY on 08/07/17

I feel your frustration and doubts. I have 1 more day of full liquids then clear liquids on the 6th then surgery on the 7th. From weighing myself I have only lost around 8-10 lbs. It fluctuates because I do weigh daily. (it helps me figure out if I need to change things or not) I have eaten no more than 850 cals per day. I have stuck to my diet according to my nut. And still after almost 2 weeks I felt like I should have lost so much more due the fact that my calories have been more than cut in half.

Your not alone in your fear, but listen to all the vets here. They have great information and have helped me so much in just my short time here. I hope your surgery goes well and will see you on the loosers bench!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/5/17 5:02 am, edited 8/4/17 10:03 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You better align your expectations with what is reasonably achievable both for the pre-op diet as well as for WLS, or will be drive yourself crazy and be mucho disappointed FOR NO REASON. If you followed your surgeon's instructions, you achieved goal number 1!!! And you lost a few pounds, what are you expecting?????????

"You ONLY lost a few pounds in the first week and nothing today." My interpretation: You did great!! - you lost a few pounds in the first week. You stayed compliant to the instructions(really the goal). You cannot reasonably expect to lose everyday - even if you are consuming 100 calories a day. You will not lose everyday after surgery. I was 100% compliant to my post-op diet, yet I lost 15 pounds the first month and 10-12 after that. 2-3 a week. Your focus is to follow instructions - that is your goal. The weight will take care of itself. I suggest NOT to weigh yourself daily during the high wt loss period, because even then wt loss is not a straight line and if you go up a pound you will go into a tailspin thinking that it is not working, and that you should go down further in protein might help. It will NOT.

When you get to maintanence, you will have developed a different perspective and daily weigh-ins may be helpful, but for now, focus on staying 100% complaint with what your surgeon is asking. IMHO, Let him/her weigh you at first. Delay gratification until you go into see the dr.

I did not own a scale for the first three months after surgery. I may be unusual, but I weighed bi-weekly when I went in to see the doctor. (a watched pot never boils) So I would see a 3-5 pounds loss. Not astronomical (esp when a friend of mine was losing 30 pounds a month), but it adds up. When I got under 250, I thought for the first time - WOW, this is working.

If you follow instructions and your body will lose at its own rate, but IT ADDS UP over time. Do not be tempted to eat less than your dr wants you to in order to speed up your weight loss - it will backfire and slow down your metabolism. Just do your best to follow the post-WLS rules. The weight will come off, but some of WLS success is a waiting game (no pun intended).

Sharon

Deanna798
on 8/5/17 5:08 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Do not doubt the surgery. It's funny, when I think about it for myself, how much I need immediate results. As a society we get and expect instant gratification. Everything happens fast, we can access information, buy things and have them shipped overnight, if we want things, we get them now.

WLS is not about instant gratification. It's about making a change and sticking with it. It's about the long haul.

Do not fret and worry. Stick with the pre-op diet, stick with the post op plan after surgery. Low carb, high protein diet and get your body moving as much as you can. This will cause you to lose weight. Keep your calories low, take your vitamins and follow the rules. You will lose weight.

You can do it, and once you have surgery the physical part of it gets so much easier. You'll have to deal with the mental, but the physical will be taken care of.

Hang in there and you will succeed.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

SharonLL
on 8/5/17 7:03 am

Thank you for all your comments and putting my mind back on track. :)

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 7:31 am
Kathyjs
on 8/5/17 4:00 pm

Why are you drinking shakes now? Is this normal? IMHO 900 is a lot ofcalories but as they said, this is about shrinking your liver

sampeck
on 8/6/17 6:02 am
VSG on 05/22/17

i lost several pounds the first week of preop and only 1-2 the second week of preop. i am about 11 weeks out from surgery and have lost 40 lbs so far and something like 40% of my excess weight. follow your plan and it will work. don't stress about a slow week if you're trending in the right direction and following the plan.