introduction and a quick question

ladylabelle
on 8/3/17 7:46 am

hello everyone, i am new here and want to introduce myself , i am 54 yrs old and am in the process of getting ready for my bypass surgery, both my husband and i are both going to be having surgery, i started out at lbs and am now 289 so i am losing but slowly, my husband has lost about the same amount . i have finished my classes and am getting excited about the surgery no date yet. i have a question to ask everyone, is there a place to get free samples of protein? we ran into a difficult situation over the summer but i know things will improve it is just a little financial setback for us, if anyone has any protein powders they hate we sure could use them to begin with, we have all been there at one time or another. i am looking forward to to this forum very much, i really could use the support, thanks and god bless

HonestOmnivore
on 8/3/17 11:55 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Good luck with your surgeries! And you'll be happy to realize the savings in food bills :) I seriously live off a tiny food budget right now and it's easy. A $15 bag of frozen shrimp provides a week's worth of meals. Are you in the US? Aldi sells a protein powder that's pretty affordable, it's called Elevation and comes in chocolate and vanilla. One tub will last you a very long time!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

jenorama
on 8/3/17 2:01 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

There is a site that will send out samples, but it escapes me at the moment. I get my protein powder at Vitamin Shoppe. They have a pretty good return policy--if you don't like it, you can return the unused portion. I think they give you store credit. I know the Quest brand of powders sells individual packets of some of their flavors. I've used them for traveling.

When you go shopping for powders, make sure you're choosing ones that are Whey Protein Isolate--it's the most readily absorbed and you'll get the most bang for your buck there. Some are a mix of Isolate and Concentrate and your abbreviated guts just won't absorb the concentrate as readily and it'll just go to waste.

A lot of people here like the fruity flavored Syntrax Nectars (Fuzzy Navel, Roadside Lemonade are two I've seen). I like the Syntrax Cappuccino flavor and I also like the Quest Salted Caramel and banana cream. I've seen all of these at Vitamin Shoppe and if they don't have it in stock in the store, they can order it for you and have it shipped to you or to the store. My husband can't have milk and he uses the beef-based Carinvor chocolate flavor. I don't like that one as much, but it's all right in a pinch.

Let us know how you get on!

Jen

teresafr
on 8/3/17 11:20 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

Its vitallady.com that has the samples of each of their protein drinks. They're 2.99 each but once you figure out which ones you like then you can buy the bigger container. I recommend the nectar unflavored protein powder. If you're having yogurt or a protein shake you can add a scoop of the protein powder and it doesn't really change the taste but it does increase the protein quantity in your food. Even your Powerade or whatever you drink you can add this to it to make it more protein. I added it to my orange Gatorade and it made it taste a smidgen like an orange creamsicle which I love.

Gwen M.
on 8/4/17 5:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Nashua Nutrition also has samples. :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

RNY on 12/22/14

Add more info about yourself to your tag so people can reach out to you. Also, ask the nut at your surgeon;s office. That is who I give all the prot shakes/powders that I bought but simply cannot eat.

Sharon

ladylabelle
on 8/4/17 12:28 pm

hi hope everyone is having a great and blessed day, i am new here and am not sure how to post, but if anyone knows of where to get free samples please let me know, thanks so much

Kathyjs
on 8/5/17 4:10 pm

I lost 135 lbs and kept it off and never drank a shake

Most Active