Approved for Surgery - At the Same Time Major Life Changes are Happening! Need Advice!

2bthereagain
on 7/31/17 6:38 pm

Hello. I have been reading the boards since I began my journey in January for insurance approval. I feel as if I know everyone and really enjoy the encouragement and help that flows so freely on this site. This is my first post and I desperately need advice!

So here is my situation...I was offered the job of a lifetime which involves relocating. I am selling my current home, packing, buying a new home, moving, dropping my youngest child off at college and then starting a new job the first week in September. And just to keep it really interesting, I am living in the RV alone for 4 weeks while my husband stays back and closes on the old house, because I must start the new job before the sell and we can't close on the new house until the old one closes - and since the new employer is paying for the move, I don't want to move twice. So it has been a coordination logistically to make it all work out. All of which is very exciting and I have worked so hard for this position, which is at an executive level! But it all came so quickly. Now, I have been approved for surgery on Sept. 5 and was supposed to start my new job Sept. 7th. I have asked my surgeon's office to put me on an emergency list and try to get the surgery scheduled earlier, like in August. They can't make any promises of course.

I'm interested to know what you would do if it were you? Would you be afraid to have surgery with all of this going on? I need to be able to be on top of my game when I start my new job. But I need and want my surgery too. Do you think I can pull all of this off?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lisa

jessica892
on 7/31/17 7:03 pm - Poplar Bluff, MO

That is such a hard thing to answer. It really all comes down to how badly you need the aurgery. Would you be able to make it 4 or 5 months to prove yourself to your employer and make sure you get a good 90 day review? Is the employer one you may be able to talk to and see if you could take a week off without penalty? You can push your surgery back but once in a lifetime chances don't happen twice.

ShirlAus
on 7/31/17 7:49 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

First of all Congratulations on your new job and all the positive changes. You sound like you have worked very hard for this to all fall into place.

I am 5 weeks out from my surgery and feel good but I find I get a little tired of late. From a personal perspective I would push the surgery out so that you are not adding in more stress both mentally and physically to what will be already a very taxing time.

I took 2 weeks off - was feeling good the second week but had decided to be kind to myself and listen to my body for once. I do an administration management role so basicially a desk job so it wasnt physical. I assume your new :"executive role will be similar?

Even going on the emergency list and having surgery before you start your role I think would be hard on you. As you mentioned you are living on your own in an RV etc.

Ultimately its your decision based on whats best for you, your family and your new career but I think be kind to yourself and add that 3-4 mths onto your surgery date while you get everything else settled - that way you can focus on your health and healing without being in the middle of the circus of moving, settling homes and living in an RV whilst trying to get up to speed with a new job

Best of luck

Shirley

Australia

NYMom222
on 7/31/17 9:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Really no one can answer this for you.

Many times for new jobs people need to express they already had 'plans' and. could they be accommodated.

I felt great after a week, but wouldn't have wanted to go back to work before 2 weeks just because of getting used to the food and stuff. Plus even though I felt great I still would get tired in the afternoon, and take a nap. And I am not a napper

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 8/1/17 4:18 am - Warren, OH

If this were emergency surgery to save your life, then I would tell the employer that I needed some additional time before starting the new job.

Weight loss surgery is not a life-threatening emergency. Putting it off for six months or a year is not going to result in loss of life. You may feel wonderful after the surgery or you may have a complication that requires additional hospital or healing time.

Even without the surgery, you can implement the diet and exercise changes that you will need to be successful with the surgery. Then you can be stronger and leaner when you do schedule your surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Deanna798
on 8/1/17 5:00 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I would postpone the surgery for a few months while you settle into your new job and adjust to the move. Does your move mean that you have to find another doctor? How far away are you moving? Would you need to go through the whole process again with another surgeon? It might be in your best interest to find a surgeon close to your new location and start the process again, if you can.

I took 3 weeks off and went back to a desk job afterwards. But, my job was something that I had been doing for years and I had the support of my husband to make sure that I had everything that I needed.

Good luck, I hope that things work out for you.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

pr31
on 8/1/17 5:25 am

Wow, you really have a lot on your plate. I don't have anything different to offer other than what has already been said. It's a hard choice no matter what. Will your insurance be changing with the new job - if so, you may need to go through the pre-op hoops again to meet their requirements. Would you be able to delay your start date for a month? I don't think I would want to start a new job for at least a month after surgery. Even if it's a desk job, you will be tired and like you said you want to be on top of your game. I know that's tough to ask with starting a new job. If not, you may want to consider waiting 6 months or so to get your life in a more stable position. It seems like a long time, but you can use it to get even more prepared for surgery. Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/17 5:27 am

Honestly ? I would not - could not. I was very tired after my surgery and I needed naps in a middle of the day to function. Plus I was really tired by the end of the day. Add the hormonal dumping - that caused some anxiety - that I reluctantly started taking antidepressants- anxiety drug - Lexapro.

Add some complications- internal hernia - that I need surgery app 7 months into the process if losing weight. If the job is so important- can you wait a year to have surgery? Get established in the new job, then have surgery? That would be me.

I personally would not risk my dream job ,- in case complications happens, and you need more time in the hospital. The chance for complications are very very small ... But I would not risk that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 8/1/17 5:45 am

If it is a different employer with different insurance, I would check with the new insurance to see if bariatric surgery is covered. If not or you have to jump through a million hoops again, I would have the surgery before your move. I hope your surgeon can squeeze you in quicker.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MissNexxie
on 8/1/17 7:14 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I concur with what the others wrote. I suggest delaying surgery until, say, the new year and you are established in your job. The insurance part will play a role, too, I'm sure, and you may need to go through those approvals again but as another poster said it'd be smart to have your surgery/surgeon near where you will be living. The surgery is a 'once in a lifetime' event as well and you shouldn't try to manage two of those things at once. The recovery and post-op time period will need to be your focus at that time, not something you manage while moving and learning a new job. Plus, at best with no complications, there will be fatigue and napping, lifting restrictions (no more than 8-10 lbs for weeks),and all the food stage management that will need your focus.

Go be awesome at your new job, dazzle them, get the move done and all that heavy lifting, organizing, arranging and then after that settles go be awesome at your WLS and recovery. Focus on one big event at a time.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active