Kathy s WLS Journey - Hair Nightmare

Kathy S.
on 7/31/17 12:32 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

March 12, 2005

Well the hair cut thing didn't go well at all. I guess I should have researched this further and found someone that deals with people that have thinning hair. If you are reading this be sure and go to someone that knows what they are doing. The lady that cut my hair wouldn't go as short as I wanted her to. When she got done she had these tight little curls where there was hair and I saw my 90 year old grandma looking back at my. Love you Grandma but.... I was in tears and she said she honestly didn't know what else to do. I played with it last weekend and I think if I get it layered and or shorten so more on the sides then I can put it back bahind my ears and just wait for it to grow... It is growing back..

I took some pictures and didn't like the way they came out. Going to get some hair gel and slick the hair back and see if I can get some 6 month shots...

Updated thoughts - When you are huge and feel everything about you is ugly you grab on to anything that makes you think you are pretty. My hair was my pride and joy. It was thick, natural curly and long. When I started losing my hair it never stopped. This one was hard for me. I don't know if it was my age or what but my hair never came back to my days of glory. My hair line is 2 inches back and thin is the new normal for me. I tried different style and live with it. Did you read those words "live". So while my hair issues hurt I can live with it. It's better to be here, healthy and happy with thin hair than laying in a coffin with my thick hair. I know that might sound harsh but it's true

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

HonestOmnivore
on 7/31/17 1:35 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I read your post, kinda sat back and went "Huh" then without actually thinking about it I was reaching for the biotin bottle I keep on my desk at work LOL! I know it can't prevent it from happening but like you, I have naturally thick hair and I guess I figured that worst case, I would just have NORMAL hair for awhile!

Yes, I'll be happily bald as long as I'm healthy and strong, but I'd like to keep the hair if I can!

It's great to hear from someone that's out a dozen years and still doing great!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Kathy S.
on 7/31/17 3:41 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This does not happen to everyone so please don't stress. If you have been reading my old blog posts I had complications for the first 3 months and this may have been the reason it fell out so badly. LOL I will have to find the photo of the cheap blond wig. It was really bad

Yes, we can look great with less hair.

HonestOmnivore
on 8/1/17 7:21 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I rode my bike to the office this morning. It was a cool 68F but humidity is high and I arrived a sweaty mess! My hair was soaked under my bike helmet and I thought "Hmmm there would be an upside to very thin hair!" It's two hours later and I still have wet hair.

My bike crazy co-workers both say that they would never ride to work because they'd be all nasty all day... Yep. I am. But I packed a dress shirt so the worst of it is on my "quick dry" shirt hanging on a hanger in my office.

If I lose it, I should see it happening in the next few weeks. Either way I'm thinking of getting an undercut at the back of my head so I'm not this gross all the time!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Kathy S.
on 8/1/17 8:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

YOU GO GIRL on the bike riding to work!

FluffyChix
on 7/31/17 1:44 pm

I love your journal peek-a-boos and your updated kitchen table talk! Thanks for keepin' it real! As someone who hates surprises, so like "What About Bob," I "practice" things I "think" might be comin' down the pike, your experiences here in the journal are a precious treasure that ease my anxiety! Thanks doll!

Kathy S.
on 7/31/17 3:42 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi FC,

I think what is interesting is to read my point of view while I was going through it and now being able to look back and have a wide, clear view of what was happening. I guess it's like tunnel vision sometimes when we are going through it. I am glad they are helping and PM me any time

kitmouse
on 7/31/17 2:35 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

I have naturally thin, fine hair. I already look like Gollum. I think it's inevitable that this will not be pretty.

Good thing #1: I'm sooooo used to it and I have ZERO pride based on my hair.

Good thing #2: I know how to knit! Next project:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwbis11/PATTescargot.php

PrivateCitizen
on 7/31/17 3:13 pm

Good thing #2: I know how to knit! Next project:

YOU, my dear, have the right attitude! you have a solution, an action you can take, not just a complaint.

That said I had a friend visit from Costa Rica who had genetic alopecia (super thin, little scalp hair) she wore hats all the time, even in summer..we went to a wig shop in my town, and she came out a new woman..she looked great, her ego was restored, and short hair style wigs look the most natural I think.

Back in the 60s-70s everyone had multiple hairpiece wardrobe to plop on top... there is more now with tying in the fake hair, but the hair pieces are faster, cheaper, and look great too. Maybe they will make a comeback?

Kathy S.
on 7/31/17 3:49 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hey kitmouse I found hats were my new found friend and I just LOVE this one!

I to knit! Here is a gift I just finished for an out door couple that are expecting their first little boy.

Most Active