CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/31/17 6:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Deb is so right about this.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cathy H.
on 7/30/17 5:49 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I was always told I looked really young for my age. I also knew it was because, as I always said, "fat fills out the wrinkles!" lol

My sisters and I are blessed with good genes; our parents both looked very young for their ages in the face.

Those genes stopped at the waist though! From there down, I look like E.T.!! lol

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 9:55 pm
AggieMae
on 7/30/17 11:22 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I had a gaunt look about 2 months after surgery, but it was short term.

I got a facial exerciser that I used to treat the muscle atrophy after having bells palsy (two weeks after WLS!) And still to use it for a few minutes twice a day. It's called a "Facial-Flex" and people do comment on how toned my lower face looks. I'm 65.

My bell's palsy ( the worse case the ER doctor said he'd had ever seen) resolved except for some noticeable asymmetry on my neck. I also have micro current treatments once a month. I took some before during and after photos and the treatment really does plump up the skin.

missc_26
on 7/31/17 4:13 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Thanks AggieMay I will research that. I'm glad your recovery from Bells Palsy has been a good one, it would've been a shock to go thru that so close to your surgery.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/31/17 2:29 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Once the fat in my face subsided, I had good cheekbones, but terrible jowls and a turkey neck. I looked like my mother... I had a facelift 6 months ago (along with a TT) and am very happy with the results.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/17 4:46 am

My face looked different right after WLS. I looked like someone I didn't know. My neck bothered me. It looked like a chicken neck.

Now my face has changed since the quick weight loss has stopped. It looks better now. It is filled out.

I try also to pick what is good about me. And not the bad. I am a very vain person. Have always cared about the way I looked. Even at 322 pounds.

I turned 50 two weeks ago. I decided to work on the best parts of me. There is no miracle in a bottle. Trust me I have looked.

I never would have gone without make up years ago. I now do. I figure that I am beautiful no matter what. Not on the outside but on the inside also.

Feeling healthy is such an amazing thing. Looking at your good qualities and not the bad.

Here is a picture of myself at 25

Here is a picture of myself last year at a wedding. I know this is being a photo *****

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor

There are days when I can pick myself apart and feel like **** I know if I do that there is nothing good to come from it.

missc_26
on 7/31/17 4:57 am
VSG on 10/03/16

I'm really heartened by everyone saying they have also experienced this early on during weight loss and it does seem to fill out again. I feel really proud of my body and face, I've always thought of the human body as an amazing machine and wonder at how it fits it's purpose so well. It was just the sunken wrinkled eyes when I was smiling that really caught me off guard. They look fine as long as the smile doesn't scrunch it up, then no word of a lie I look like Gollum

I'm gonna take your advice and keep focusing on the positive. Perhaps wear some sunglasses should photos be taken and ride it out.

All the best!

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/17 5:13 am

There are make up classes to show us also how to apply make up showing how to change our faces. I know it's not a miracle. It can help.

I know for me before surgery I felt horrible about the way I looked. I always wore big jewelry to take away the focus of my body. Carrying huge purses so it would mask my body.

I am almost four years out from surgery. Time does change how we look at ourselves. I did become very full of fake self confidence when I had a huge weight loss in the beginning. Then I didn't want anyone looking at me. I felt like well if you didn't notice me before stop noticing me now. I hated compliments. I used to get mad when people would say things to me about my weight loss. I felt very self conscious. Now I will take a compliment. Since they have stopped.

I am now learning how to like me. This may sound weird.

Learning to love ourselves after surgery can take a while. For me I have to work on one day at a time.

If buying new sun glasses help. By all means buy them. But I am sure you can see your heart in your eyes when you smile.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/31/17 11:08 am

Actually I believe any one of us should re-evaluate our makeup technique whether we look old or not. Our faces have changed. Before my smile was my best feature (I had little squishy hooded eyes obese). Now, my cheekbones are my best feature (eye got a bit bigger looking...but still not huge ).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active