Telling people about your decision for WLS

Terri Ott Norris
on 8/1/17 3:17 pm - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

Great topic/question!

I would like to share my situation, my thoughts.

I lost my Brother, John Ott, 2 days after weight loss surgery, RNY. We were all there, I was to be his care giver. My Mother had to tell her only son that it was ok to go. The night before his surgery he BEGGED me not to let this happen to me. Johnny BELIEVED in the tool, he was trying to save his life.

Ahead 12 years....I DID let it happen to me, and there I was, facing the same dilemma that Johnny did. BUT...I was healther-see it was not the surgery that John passed away from, it was years and years of obesity. A heart attack that was going to happen anyway.

For the above reason I DID NOT tell my Mother or my Sisters. It would have killed them, as they are sure it was the surgery that did it, not the years of Johnny's obesity.

So my circle was very small and very close people to me. See I think it is nobody's business HOW I lose weight, I would hope that ALL people that love me would be just happy that I am getting healty. So it is your business; why we feel like we can tell others about Nutri Systems and not WLS is beyond me. WLS is harder, I am two weeks out and I can tell you it is VERY HARDER! We do need the support but we do not need the condemning or the fear-see we need to take care of ourselves during this, not the attitude or feelings of others.

Good luck to you...I am doing wonderful! Nothing could EVER taste as good as this feels!

...And hey...I was just finishing what John Ott started....he is my Angel.

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

teresafr
on 8/1/17 4:47 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

By not being outspoken about it you were saving your family a lot of worry. That was very nice of you.

Valerie G.
on 8/1/17 7:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you take short-term disability, they need specifics. If you just need medical leave from work, all they need to know is that you're getting surgery.

Now, that being said, what to say and who to say?

Know that just like you have a confidante or two at work, they do as well. If you want to keep this to yourself, then tell NO ONE at work. That second confidante will get told, and so on, and so on. The truth is so much easier to harness and keep track of. Also, if you do conceal the nature of your surgery and it gets out that you had it while you are still pretending to lose it all with diet/exercise, your professional credibility is ruined.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

LouiseEM
on 8/2/17 6:50 am

When I began this process I waited until I was accepted to the program to even consider telling anyone other then my husband, who was a part of the discussion before beginning this journey.

Once I was accepted I needed to tell my boss and coworker (VERY SMALL OFFICE) since we need to co-ordinate times we take off with there only being so few of us. They have been incredibly supportive of the journey even though they were in disbelief that I required it (I wear my weight very well).

Next I told my parents, and sisters. They have always been incredibly supportive of all my weight loss attempts and lifestyle changes I make. That was going to be it... until I guess my dad was really excited/nervous for me and decided to bring it up during a huge family visit with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins (large extended family). "Oh did you hear what is going on with Louise?...." My mother was furious with him on my behalf since I was actually not present at that visit. ;)

So the cat is basically outta the bag for me and my family. Luckily everyone has been nothing but supportive (even the aunt/uncle/cousins I was SURE would be against it).

I've also only told two of my closest friends. We get together every couple of months and I didn't want them to worry about my change in eating habits.

If you have a supportive network then definitely use them! If not, don't bother including them in the process. You need positive thoughts and emotions. Ditch the negativity. You will be much happier for it!

Louise

Referral: Dec 2016 Orientation: Feb 2017 @ Humber River; Meet the Surgeon: Dr. Starr Apr 12/17; RD, RN, SW: July 12/2017; Pre-Op: Dr. Glazer Aug 16/17; Opti Start Date: Aug 26/17; Meet the NEW Surgeon: Dr. Huynh Sept 7/17; Surgery Date: Sept 15/17

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 7:34 am
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 8:32 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Wow.

Most Active