Opinions on alcohol

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/17 8:42 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I got invited for drinks tomorrow by a classmate, a few of them wanted to go out to a Mexican place for margaritas. I'm not a drinker, I don't enjoy the taste of just about any alcohol, but it just made me curious what other who have had WLS think about alcohol. I mean like a drink once in awhile, not going out and getting hammered! I figure I could order an iced tea and bring my stevia packets to sweeten it and maybe munch on some fajita meat and veggies while they drank margaritas. Anyone have any issues with alcohol once in awhile, or is it a "stay far, far away" sort of deal? I looked into it some and sooo much is just tons of calories, and I think to myself "that could be a delicious meal I could savor." You can't savor a margarita!

Fredbear
on 7/23/17 8:58 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I had a very tiny shot of Fireball with my nephew to toast some very, very good news he received. I drank maybe half of it over 20 minutes.

I attempted to stand. That was a big mistake. I discovered lots of things to look at on the floor while I was there...

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/17 9:07 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Oh my! I think that was me when I turened 21 and my friend ordered me some fancy colorful rum drink. Tasted awful and I couldn't see straight

peachpie
on 7/24/17 2:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Go for the drinks, but have something else IMO. You don't need to have alcohol to socialize. like you I rarely ever drank before surgery-- maybe once a year. I don't mind the taste- but I'm cheap :-)

i won't let a peer activity influence when I'll choose to indulge alcohol. I.e. I was at a cook out Saturday and my mother in law literally put a drink in my hand. I didn't go with intention to drink- and didn't let her putting that in my hand force me.

Alcohol affects me fast- scary fast. I turn into a giggly fool after one drink and walking becomes a focused effort. But it also wears off fast- I can see where addiction can become a problem.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/17 4:23 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I never drank before so I can't imagine the lightweight I am now. I would be in no condition to drive that's for sure. Tea and fajita meat it is! I love a good iced tea.

Laura in Texas
on 7/24/17 2:19 pm

That's a good plan!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/24/17 2:54 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

People have strong opinions on drinking (with or without WLS). Two things that I stay aware of: Even a small amount affects me really fast and much stronger than pre-WLS and there are a lot of wasted calories involved.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 7/24/17 4:21 am
VSG on 01/12/17

When I was even looking at it the calories were what I noticed first. Yikes! It is all sort of a waste of money for me anyway since I don't like the taste. Tea for me please!

jenorama
on 7/24/17 5:15 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't drink either and I've never been tempted post-surgery. Alcohol post-surgery is a very slippery slope. Search for "alcohol" here on OH and you'll see some threads that will make your hair stand on end. My opinion is to just not do it, not even once.

Jen

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/24/17 5:25 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm not sure if you noticed but on the vsg page there's a post from a Dr that talks about drinking alcohol. It has a link that leads to a video. I haven't seen it yet but he posts often & gives helpful advice.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active