'Right' and 'Wrong' ways ARGH!

White Dove
on 7/21/17 6:45 am - Warren, OH

I tell people that I really admire anyone who has lost weight without surgery. I also know that that weight will be all back with extra in a few years.

There was an old country song about being nice to everyone on your way up--you'll meet them again coming down.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/21/17 7:30 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This kind of stuff is why my personal theme song (okay, it only plays in my own head since everyone I've asked to follow me around playing it as I enter rooms has refused) is Lily Allen's F- - - You.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

theAntiChick
on 7/21/17 7:48 am, edited 7/21/17 12:48 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My Dad started in with that nonsense. Luckily, he is a scientist and when I showed him the study results demonstrating that diet and exercise are statistical losers, and that those with WLS have MUCH better long-term results... he finally shut up about it. I'm truly happy for people who can lose weight and keep it off with diet/exercise. For whatever reason, I'm not one of those people.

I will educate anyone who has a genuine interest, and the rest I roll my eyes at, or say something snarky (depending on my mood and whether or not they affect my paycheck) and move along.

Life's too short. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

NYMom222
on 7/21/17 7:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Take a deep breath... You have worked hard and done amazing. No need to compare yourself to anyone....or allow anyone to do it for you.

They are ignorant.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mute
on 7/22/17 6:30 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Oh I definitely agree. I just see those comments and think to myself this is HARD WORK. I don't think anyone realizes unless they're here.

SiennaSweet
on 7/22/17 2:22 pm

People are foolish. Don't fall into their trap and waste your energy on stupidity. Racism isn't going away either but I can't dedicate all my time to that either. I know the truth. It's good enough for me. It's rare to change people's opinions anyway. Do you. Make the best life you can. This is the place to vent though and I do hear you. No offense I hope!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/24/17 4:39 am, edited 7/23/17 9:40 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

More than suck, these people are simply ignorant. Remember, only 3-5% who loose weight without surgery, keep it off 5 years later. With WLS 75% keep off at least 50 pounds. 25% have kept almost all of their lost weight off.

Your friend is doing great, and hope that she is one of the lucky 3-5% who will lose and keep it off long term. Stats say differently. You, me, and everyone on this site did MULTIPLE 'successful' diets - lost 50-100+ pounds , only to gain it back. That is what happens to 95-97% of obese people. We dealt with the reality of our health issues using the only medically proven (but still not perfect) method - WLS.

Congrats on taking charge of your health issues for the long term!! I try to respond with health stats. Hi Skinny - My reply - And my cholesterol is under 150!!! I just turned 60, so this may not work for younger people, but it helps me remember that I did this for my health, even though I so love wearing size S, XS and 6 and 8s!!

Thanks for posting because our society is so screwed up about weight issues, we need to keep out heads on straight!!!

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/24/17 8:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Looking over the statistical data, The Right Way to lose surgery is via WL surgery!!

Sharon

diane S.
on 7/24/17 9:27 am

Well you can't control what others do; only how you let it affect you. While a few people are able to lose weight and keep it off the old fashioned way, its shown by studies that its few indeed. You made the right choice for you. I made the right choice for me and we are both successful. I had gained and lost and regained over and over and I was pretty sure there was something more complex involved. At age 58 the sleeve was the answer for me.

Don't let such people spoil the joy of your weight loss success. You did it your way and its the right way. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

VSGAnn2014
on 7/25/17 4:54 am, edited 7/24/17 9:55 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

"People" aren't terribly educable. We *believe* what we are comfortable believing. We're also pretty lazy thinkers.

Most of us aren't comfortable living in the "grays," but much prefer black/white, right/wrong, easy/hard duality isms and ologies.

And even those of us who are educable have to hear an inconvenient truth that conflicts with our currently held truth multiple times before we're willing to hear it, much less consider its possible validity.

Collectively, humans aren't all that brilliant.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active