Learning to accept Imperfections

Melody P.
on 7/19/17 9:36 am - Amarillo, TX

I know perfect doesn't even exist really but yet we kick ourselves for not being "perfect".

One of my nieces pointed out a little skin tag on my neck this morning. Asked me what it was and why I had them. Thankfully it happened at home saving me a bit of embarrassment. She is six so it didn't really bother me to much but got the wheels in my head turning.

I am learning to accept myself. I figure if I hate myself before surgery it'll be deemed a failure before it even happens. I have learned that I AM lovable and to have love for myself. It is hard to learn But I'm doing it!

sorry for blabbering but the thoughts have been running around and needed get out!

Mel

Kristi T.
on 7/19/17 10:24 am, edited 7/19/17 3:26 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Kids are so honest at that age, they speak their truth that's for sure! You are strong, intelligent and beautiful and are absolutely worthy of love Melody!

Gwen M.
on 7/19/17 10:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I forget when it happened exactly, but at one point I had lost enough weight that my arms had a lot of excess skin (I lose weight from the top down, so this happened before the rest of my body had lots of excess skin). We had friends over, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, and we were playing a board game of some sort. I reached to move my piece, and their son (who was maybe 8 at the time?) poked at my hanging arm skin to make it wobble a few times.

OMG, I almost died :P And I wanted to laugh, since it WAS amusing but I didn't want to encourage him, but I also wanted to crawl under the table for shame.

But, back you your post - self care and self kindness are really important for overall mental health. I tell people that VSG was the kindest thing I've ever done for myself and I still firmly believe that. Keep on keeping on, it gets easier with time :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

pammieanne
on 7/19/17 12:34 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I had a big space between my teeth... and my daughter head butted me when she was little and knocked my front tooth, further expounding on the space over the course of a few years..

One day, one of her little friends asked me where my tooth went (He thought I was missing a tooth!) It was in front of a group of moms... I wanted to curl up and shrink away...

While I did eventually get my front teeth fixed (it was really a matter of having to at that point), I still cringe when I think about that day.

Now I have skin hanging in places I don't like it hanging... but when I'm dressed, I am damn proud of how I look in the mirror... all that loose skin be damned!

Kids are honest and just say what they feel (not a bad thing really), so don't let it bother you too much... but remember the lesson you've learned, because as you lose weight, your brain won't catch up and it'll play mental games with you. Love yourself just the way you are (or start saving now! Ha!)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

jenorama
on 7/19/17 1:01 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Well, one good thing about skin tags is that as you lose weight and lessen your metabolic syndrome issues (which skin tags are a symptom of), they should clear up. I have one on my neck that was super annoying because I wear a necklace every day, but it's pretty much gone now. :D

Jen

peachpie
on 7/19/17 5:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I who get your point, and agree you need to find something to love about yourself now. Surgery may not change your body like you imagine- so it's definitely better to love yourself now. If you wait you may be disappointed in the trade off.

Btw- I had skin tags in my face removed by a dermatologist. Hurt, but so worth it!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Melody P.
on 7/19/17 5:40 pm - Amarillo, TX

Thanks! I have more love for myself now than I have my entire adult life :)

I have had some froze off...it hurt, like wow! and they just came back.

Mel

Kathyjs
on 7/21/17 5:30 am

All these years and I had forgot I no longer have skin tags. I used to pull them out as far as I could and snip them off......this is definately NOT advice

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/17 6:23 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

You are beautiful and perfect. I don't see perfect as being someone who is infallible though. A perfect person is a person who understands that mistakes are how we learn the best lessons. And that we are still good people after those mistakes. Perfect is learning and bettering ourselves as humans are always meant to do.

Most Active