7/19-Sweat Now, Smile Later-Thread take over!

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/17 5:10 am, edited 7/19/17 7:05 am

For those that missed it, it appears that Teri (thread owner) is out of surgery!

Lets keep sending positive mental energy/prayers/good thoughts for a speedy recovery her way!

Now for the workout. Life has me sort of frustrated-and I noticed that I munched and crunched a bit too much on pistachios yesterday. And I wonder why this regain (from not working out but eating like I was) is not going down so fast. Skinny-head in game!!!

So todays workouts are:

1)Abs Class (30 minutes with Grace)

2) Kickbox circuit class (45 minutes with Grace)

3) Jog 3 minutes; walk 3 minutes for 35 minutes on Dreadmill (Personal time using a couch to half marathon training program).

4) Try not to get frustrated with people around me. I felt sad,lonely and depressed being stuck at home unable to work following hand surgery. I wanted this (to be able to work again, exercise again, contribute to society again)...and people clearly missed me...that is why they are knocking on my office door...right?

Send me your workouts!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/19/17 6:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am taking my son swimming today.

We have a backyard pool, but it's too cold for me. It's never above 78ºF -- even using the solar cover.

He is on the swim team -- so I am taking him to swim laps for an hour. I usually swim with him because I don't like strange men sharing the lane with him (the YMCA here has a rule during busy lap times, that swimmers must share the lanes with one other swimmer).

I cannot swim as fast as he can, but pacing myself not to fall behind him makes for a decent work-out.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/17 7:03 am

Hey Kat! Awesome on the pool. My HOA has one and I love it but I can't stick my head in the water due to swimmers ear and impacted earwax problem.

If you get sick of swimming, here is a fun workout that I do in the pool from Shape Magazine. I force myself to "run" a few laps in the pool every few moves to keep my heart rate up.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/burn-calories-pool-no-laps-required

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/19/17 7:08 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Thanks! If I can get into the main pool, I will give that a try.

Unfortunately, in the lap lanes, we aren't allowed to do anything besides swim laps. I guess I understand, but it does sort of suck. LOL

BTW, my son suffers the same issues with swimmer's ear due to bad allergies and narrowed ear canals. I have found that Mack's wax plugs that fit over the entirety of the outer ear's hole with a swimmers head band or a cap covering the ears coupled with nasal allergy meds have kept this issue at bay. Perhaps it would work for you as well.

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/17 7:13 am

Wow-Mack's must be making a lot of money. My ENT made me get their ear dryer. She ALSO TOLD ME THAT I HAVE NASAL ALLERGIES. I did not know that. I have been using nasal sprays and I can breath more easily through my nose (I really didn't know it was that bad).

Somewhere I have a swimmers cap.

I will try those earplugs!

Thanks for the suggestion!

OOOH. The ENT told me to peroxide my ears once a week before showering to soften the wax, then purposely fill my ears with warm water while in the shower, tip the head, and use the ear dryer.

I hope she didn't give me a recipe for continued business to her!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/19/17 7:27 am, edited 7/19/17 12:28 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Yeah, they've made all the difference for him. He was literally getting water trapped in his ear and then an infection every time he swam. Not good for a kid who is on the swim team.

His is directly related to his nasal allergies and narrowed canals.

I should add, we actually buy the Walgreen's brand of knock-off Mack's earplugs. Not only are they cheaper -- by a dollar or two a box-- and often have a buy one get the second 1/2 off deal -- but my son insists they are actually better. Keep in mind that they aren't meant to go in the ear canal but rather to block off from the outside. Each pair lasts a few swims -- although, we change them out a bit more often from paranoia.

Can't speak to the ear wax situation -- that, fortunately isn't one of his problems.

peachpie
on 7/19/17 8:02 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

While today isn't a usual workout day for me- I did my Thursday workout today since I know I'll have to work late tomorrow. I tried a kickbox cardio class. It was supposed to be 55 minutes but the instructor cut is short because she had to teach aqua fit as a sub. I debated trying the aqua fit instead- but was glad I didn't because she never even got into the pool.

I rounded the time we were shorted with a 15 minute treadmill run.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/17 12:07 pm

So what did you think of cardio kick box?

Sorry that you were "cheated" but found a way to make it up.

As far as aqua fit-I don't recollect ever seeing an instructor get into the pool. I think it is so they cna show you the moves and kind of act like a life guard. But it is just my crazy guess!!

Gwen M.
on 7/19/17 9:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thankfully I don't think there are really any thread owners, so you're safe. :)

Today was my first day back to fitness classes since surgery and I had a lot of doubt/trepidation. I did pilates and then yoga. Lots and lots of modifications, but I felt great. No pain. I have a lot of work to do to get back to where I was, but it's nice to be making progress again! YAY!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

SkinnyScientist
on 7/19/17 11:59 am

This is great news! It IS nice to be back to the gym after time away.

I don't think I would ever make progress to the "real" move if I didn't have modifications!

Congrats Gwen

Most Active