Still no surgery date set

Adjua
on 7/18/17 1:51 am, edited 7/18/17 1:56 pm

Im so frustrated. I'm a teacher and started the pre-op steps early because I can't easily 2 weeks off. Now I have to wait for the insurance approval and a doc who is already booked thru September. I don't know what to do. I'm so scared. I've lost 19 lbs in pre-op and I'm so scared I'll backslide, especially if I have to wait until our next break in December. I've had this momentum that just took a serious blow. Family & friends really don't understand, their attitude is, "just keep doing what you've been doing the past few months". If it was that easy I wouldn't need the surgery. I'm just soo frustrated!

Adjua
on 7/18/17 2:03 pm
Dcgirl
on 7/18/17 2:29 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

That must be frustrating. I have to say, how you heal depends on a lot of factors like genetics, age, health, starting weight and likely mental strength too. I was fortunate - I had surgery on a Friday morning and I took the following week off but could have easily gone back to my desk job by Wednesday. I don't know what grade you teach, but hopefully you could schedule it around Fall Break or simply tell your principal that you need to have a week off for medical reasons. Yes, there are some people who take 2 or 3 or even 4 weeks off, but that's not for everyone.

And as someone who went from 351 lbs to maintaining at 170 lbs, even if you have to wait until December, it will be the best gift you ever give to yourself! You have a whole healthier, lighter life ahead of you so don't let a few months delay derail you. It feels incredible to wake up with energy, without knee pain, and with the ability to just exist as a normal person in the world. Read this post from a few weeks ago to give you an idea of all of the NSVs (non-scale victories) you will have in your future!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/6022291/I-want-to-hear-some-of-the-pure-daily-pleasures-of-your/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/19/17 7:32 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I can understand your frustration. This is a pretty common issue -- I am a teacher at the collegiate level, and I had the same issue --- except in December. If I hadn't gotten it scheduled over the winter break, I'd have had to wait until the summer.
Have you called the office and explained your situation? I highly suggest you ask to be placed on the "cancellation" list -- in other words, if there's a cancellation for any reason, you are willing to take that spot. That is what ended up working for me.
If your insurance has already approved your surgery, there's little likelihood that that will be taken away. Keep up your momentum. Consider it practice for after surgery -- trust me, it isn't as though WLS will do all the work for you. If nothing else this will give you time to come to terms with the fact that you are making permanent changes... not just waiting for surgery to do all the work for you (because it doesn't!).

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active