Measuring Cup Spoons

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/17 10:40 am, edited 7/17/17 10:49 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Found these long-handled measuring spoons about ten years ago, back when I was an avid baker, at K-Mart, probably a Martha Stewart item. I've always liked them, but now I LOVE them! My grandmothers taught me to cook without really measuring. It has been important for my success to learn to measure accurately, especially fats. The 1/8 Cup spoon is 2 Tbsp. and works perfectly for measuring mayo for egg salad, tuna salad, etc ( I always make enough for hubby to have some). That way I can accurately track fat intake in my salad portions. Sure, I have measuring cups and spoons, but not with these long handles! I have a newfound appreciation for these tools!

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/17 10:48 am
RNY on 04/18/17
pammieanne
on 7/17/17 11:40 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Those are really cute spoons!

But remember... fat is NOT the enemy anymore... carbs are.

Trust me on this... that fat will fill you up, make your skin softer, and typically comes in the form of high protein foods...

Beware the carbs... love thy fats!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/17 11:56 am
RNY on 04/18/17

Totally with you Pammieanne! I lean more keto than anything. It is easy for me to eat a LOT of fat, so I do need to keep track. I use full-fat dairy, salad dressing (olive oil), butter, mayo, etc. Try to stick mostly to the good fats. Going to make my own yogurt this week so I can have some that is not 0% fat! I can't find Greek yogurt with any fat content in any of my stores. Keep it very low carb. I read of others eating an apple and I'm like, "WHAT?" But, we each need to do what works for us. Yes, I gained some weight after my band quit working, not for eating "wrong" but eating MORE. I know what works for me. That last bit is not for you; I'm venting from earlier. HA!

Melody P.
on 7/17/17 12:19 pm - Amarillo, TX

So much this! I have tried keto and it made me ill because I had to much fat. Truth be told it was most likely not a true keto diet.

i am going to use a similar set that I got on a free grocery store tour last year. I believe in measuring for myself. Like you say everyone is different. If I don't track, measure, and log my food I end up with failure. I don't see that changing much after surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/17 2:23 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

Right, Melody! It is so important for me, especially to retrain my brain to understand what "a serving" looks like. I can't guess what a half cup of egg salad looks like. I will dish out at least a cup. Dishing my food with these spoons has been so helpful. Now I KNOW for certain that I ate 1/4 cup of egg salad, and that filled me up. When I begin my taco salad with 1/2 cup of meat, the salad stays much smaller than if I fix it without measuring. I am going to write in detail about this, but this last time, I did not gain weight from eating the wrong things---I had moved away from those foods years ago. I gained from being able to eat more, and that is why, if I understand what people are saying, they have some trouble in maintenance; they are able to eat more. So I will continue to measure.

Most Active