Questions about classes

Melody P.
on 7/15/17 1:23 pm - Amarillo, TX

i go to my first class Tuesday and I'm super excited! I want to be prepared as well. The hospital giving the class breaks it down into six different classes with different topics for every month.

my questions are these...

Did you take a notebook to write things down?

What, if anything, do you wish you would have listened to or heeded more?

i appreciate any advice!

Gwen M.
on 7/15/17 2:14 pm, edited 7/15/17 8:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't have classes to attend, but I totally would have taken a notebook (and took one to every appointment I had) because it was useful to write down all the questions that came up in between appointments and have a place to write down answers and other useful bits of info. So I definitely recommend doing that!

(This is standard operating procedure for me for all doctor appointments though. It never hurts to have a notebook.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

AggieMae
on 7/15/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I took a "life style" class for 6 months before the 6 months pre op classes. We got a notebook with pockets for the monthly handouts. Bring a notebook and a pen to the first class.

I got lots of useful information and also a earful of nonsense from the other participants. Lots of time (IMO) wasted debating the need to stop smoking cage and drinking surgery sodas. And there was far to much whining about "jumping through hoops".

My advice is to make the most of the classes, the appointments and especially the time. We didn't get fat in 6 months, the waiting for surgery is a way to practice learning to wait for gratification.

Another thing to at attention at the classes monitoring your progress to be sure you are staying on track for your expected surgery date. This is especially true if your has specific insurance requires.

The time went by fast.

thegarv
on 7/15/17 5:08 pm

My surgery site also required classes (5) and attending at least 1 support group. We always had handouts given to us, along with a binder, so I wrote tips, questions, etc on those. You do forget things. I am really happy they had these classes to go to; I had lapband 10 years and this wasn't required--I could have used it then.

The support group I found was also much better than the one 10 years ago. There are people who have had the surgery, people just starting the process, and people with surgery dates. I think it is just a matter of luck. I've been to some where people whined or just wanted to be heard; I've been to ones where post-op people shared, showed scars, answered any type of question we could think of (from food to sex!).

Good luck!

Knitter215
on 7/15/17 6:06 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

We were given a binder to bring to all meetings with our team. I didn't have a "class" per se, but met with my RD and the NP and surgeon every month for the four months I had prior to surgery. Probably the time I took the most notes was in the half day class about pre-op/post op eating that was immediately after I was advised my surgery was scheduled.

The important stuff sticks. Don't sweat it. Bring a notebook and pen. You've got this.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Melody P.
on 7/16/17 11:33 am - Amarillo, TX

Thank you for the replies! I am looking forward to classes. I think it'll be good for me.

I don't have any local friends at all and I'm hoping to find a support group that is local. With my social anxiety that Is hard but I feel I need something.

QueenSunshine
on 7/16/17 6:36 pm

Congratulations on starting your classes! My classes don't start for another few weeks, but I have 12 sessions instead of 6. We will be given binders on the first day, but I will bring the notebook I started since I made the decision to have WLS.

Best wishes to you! :)

ChristineB
on 7/17/17 8:08 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On July 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Pacific Time, Melody P. wrote:

i go to my first class Tuesday and I'm super excited! I want to be prepared as well. The hospital giving the class breaks it down into six different classes with different topics for every month.

my questions are these...

Did you take a notebook to write things down?

What, if anything, do you wish you would have listened to or heeded more?

i appreciate any advice!

I would highly recommend a notebook. I would also start keeping a list of your weigh-ins and measurements. It might be hard to look at those numbers right now but you will be amazed later on in the weight loss stages how you will start to shrink. It will also be great motivation to look at the measurements during a weight loss plateau. Most people will continue to loose inches even when they are not loosing on the scale.

Good luck and come back often and share with the rest of the board.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active