Does loose skin ever get better over the years?

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/16/17 10:23 am
No it gets worse with age.

Just like every one without wls, your skin naturally ages and says. For us it's worse because we are already saggy.

Plastics are ok, but it never restores the elasticity of your skin. After a few years it looks like you need a "touch" up.

My advice, get some plastics and get use to the idea of saggy skin

Scott
chevtow41
on 7/16/17 6:35 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I lost 150+ lbs the same way as you. I then had skin removal surgery. Fast forward 3 years and I had gained all the weight back plus interest. Be VERY sure you can maintain before having the surgery. Just a word of caution from someone who has been there.

flippy
on 7/17/17 9:34 am
On July 17, 2017 at 1:35 AM Pacific Time, chevtow41 wrote:

I lost 150+ lbs the same way as you. I then had skin removal surgery. Fast forward 3 years and I had gained all the weight back plus interest. Be VERY sure you can maintain before having the surgery. Just a word of caution from someone who has been there.

I've been on the same routine for 15+ months. I've lost and gained back in the past because soon as I got off the plan/diet after I lost the weight I went back to my normal eating habits. Also I was never on any of those diets for this long of a period. Since I'm not on a "diet" and I'm eating pretty much whatever I want I don't think I will gain the weight back this time. In previous attempts I think one reason they failed because they were too strict and too drastic, focused solely on losing the weight. What I'm doing has flexibility. The only boundaries I have setup is my calorie limit and most foods that have any food coloring, sweeteners, or other additives that are man made. I'm not a big eater of sweets or soda anyway, but there are very rare times (maybe twice a year) I will splurge on something. But even that "splurging" I keep in check, which I've never done before, which is also one reason I know this time is different. I haven't eaten fast food in about a year. Early on I was experimenting with the occasional "healthier options" fast food when I didn't have food prepared, but I stopped that. Except for Subway, once in a while I will get a turkey sub crafted down to about 290 calories for a 6". I've also got into the habit of tracking my weight about 2 times per week so I know when I'm up or down.

Kathy1212
on 7/17/17 7:50 am

Congrats on the weight loss!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

flippy
on 7/17/17 9:42 am
On July 17, 2017 at 2:50 PM Pacific Time, Kathy1212 wrote:

Congrats on the weight loss!

Thanks. It's strange but everyone in personal life says what I'm doing is incredible when they see the details, but online that's probably only one of a handful of times anyone showed support. I really get a kick out of fitness people lecturing then they turn around and eat a bunch of man-made chemical-filled concoctions with a lot of questionable ingredients.

Kathy1212
on 7/17/17 10:30 am

You're doing great. It's good to get away from processed foods and chemicals.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Sai F.
on 7/19/17 8:40 am, edited 7/19/17 1:40 am
VSG on 09/02/16

It depends on a lot of things. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I lost my first 100 lbs, my calves literally looked like I had loose stockings on my calves. Now after 150+ down, my calves look normal again. My inner thighs and under my arms though, while some improvement could need a lift but since it's not that bad, I haven't really considered going under the knife again. I'm just relieved that I'm not heavy anymore. Nothing is worse than that.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

flippy
on 7/19/17 9:37 am
On July 19, 2017 at 3:40 PM Pacific Time, Sai F. wrote:

It depends on a lot of things. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I lost my first 100 lbs, my calves literally looked like I had loose stockings on my calves. Now after 150+ down, my calves look normal again. My inner thighs and under my arms though, while some improvement could need a lift but since it's not that bad, I haven't really considered going under the knife again. I'm just relieved that I'm not heavy anymore. Nothing is worse than that.

Well that's interesting. I guess that goes along with what some people were saying to wait and see how everything ends up after a year or so. I still want to lose another 30-40 lbs so I'll see what happens in the year after that.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 7/19/17 10:13 am, edited 7/19/17 3:13 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

What Knitter215 says. My only suggestion is to use a moisturizer am and pm and treat your skin as best as possible and see what you have when you get to your goal weight. Even a solid weight training program will only deal with ~10% of the excess skin by having bigger muscles. I needed the scapel but until you are at goal, you will not know exactly what you need.

If you use the moistuizer, you will have the self-knowledge that you did all that you can do fro this day forward.

Sharon

Janet P.
on 7/21/17 11:01 am

Sorry but the quick answer is no unless you're a teenager or young adult. Skin is elastic and if you have been overweight your adult life, and you're 45 years old, you skin will not get better. No amount of creams or lotions will do anything. Exercise helps fill in the muscles under the skin.

I had been obese my entire adult life. I lost 175 pounds at age 45 (courtesy of the DS). I lost all my excess weight in about a year. I worked out extensively starting 4 months after surgery. It helped a little with the arms and legs (which weren't that bad to start with), but otherwise nothing. Also remember that plastic surgery will only take care of the areas you cut but nothing else. I was fortunate enough to have a TT and breast lift. Tummy doesn't hang anymore and the girls are a little better (don't hang to my waist).

Otherwise I'm just a Shar-pei with a flat tummy.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active