Scale Help

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 8:04 am, edited 7/8/17 8:05 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I bought a scale a good bit ago (I post a NSV about it). It isn't a very high quality scale, but I figured it would do the trick. Well, I don't think it's doing the trick. My scale has been stuck on two different weights for a long while now. Never any other weight, those two weights are the only two I see. At my doctor, I am weighed and it is neither of those weights. At first I figured, no big deal I can keep track on mine since I have it and can weigh myself all the time. Okay, second doctor is the same story, weighs me less than my scale says just like the first doctor. I started noticing that my scale wasn't telling me anything close to either doctor's scales. One doctor has the nice large, floor scale. You know the large black square you step up on it and it weighs you digitally. Second doctor has a small scale but it's digital. Both weigh me as less than mine.

Should I look into a new scale? I'm not sure if my body weight is just staying around the same two numbers for my scale, or if I should just look into a better quality scale. What is a better quality scale though? I paid $27.00 for mine, and I don't know how much a good and accurate one should cost.

This is my scale https://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-glass-scale-white/-/A-50036984

bruindiva92
on 7/8/17 8:26 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Mershmellow,

Couple of obvious things: Is the scale sitting on a very flat area? If yes, have you checked the batteries (if you have a battery operated scale)?

Do you weigh yourself the same time everyday (or whenever you weigh yourself)?

If you answered yes, you probably need a new scale. Personally, I got a Taylor $20 scale from Target. My doctor's office weigh in is always 5 lbs more--at home, I weigh in the morning after getting out of bed.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 8:32 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Where I have my scale is on stone tiled floor. I did remove the batteries to "reset" it. It runs on three AAA batteries. It did change the weight on the scale, but only by less than a pound maybe. I wouldn't worry too much about it if the weight differences between scales was smaller, but it's a significant different. I weight 10-13lbs less on both of the doctor's scales than I do on my home scale.

bruindiva92
on 7/8/17 9:21 am
Revision on 03/29/17

You probably need a new scale....

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 9:32 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I agree! I reset my ticker to my current scale's weight until I get a new accurate one since it'll be a few days before I head out to target.

RNY on 12/22/14

I only paid $10 for mine, but it waas within a pound of the drs (conditions being equal - like I came stratight home after dr appt and weighed before anything came in me or went out.)

New scale seems to be in order, except that a stone tile floor may not be leved enough. Can you try it out on a regular floor before buying a new one?

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/17 9:32 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I had tried it on a hard floor already, it is just time for a new scale! I am still looking around, I may invest in the Nokia scale

Vegbeth
on 7/8/17 8:40 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Cheap scales can be fairly accurate. My scale is a cheap health-o-meter that I bought years ago. I weighed myself at home right before my dr appt and found that my scale was .2lb different from the very expensive scale at the dr office. A flat floor, weighing at the same time off day, and in the same clothes (or lack there of), help to keep accurate track of your progress. I would also try getting on the scale with some hand weights or large cans, cast iron skillets, etc, Anything heavy to see if that registers a different weight. If your scale is still stuck on one of those two weights I would return it.

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/17 8:46 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I just went and tried your idea. It did not register a new weight. I'm going to first change the batteries to fresh ones and see, but if not I'll pick up a new scale. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Erin T.
on 7/8/17 9:07 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I have an Aria scale and it's not cheap (I think it was $140?), but I love it and I love its integration with TrendWeight. I love being able to see such a detailed history. I weigh every morning post pee and pre-shower. No clothes!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active