Getting ready for new me...fears

Janet P.
on 7/6/17 6:17 am, edited 7/5/17 11:25 pm

With any type of WLS, you're entering something that is completely new and different. You're going to be creating a new "normal". What you're feeling is normal for you.

For me personally I was expecting for my life to change dramatically, but you know what? I'm still the same exact person I was before my WLS, just thinner and healthier, and maybe a little bit happier.

You will become whoever you want to become (or simply stay who you are just thinner and healthier).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Emcvt
on 7/7/17 8:28 am

I do hope it is a health change only. I am a very fortunate person who has a wonderfully full life that I don't want to change. Ok, I will enjoy buying smaller sizes ?

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 6:56 am

I understand how you feel. Get normal out of your vocab. normal is a setting on a washing machine.

Think about the positive things you will do after surgery.

Sharing how you are feeling is a good thing. Coming here to give and get support helps.

Best wishes to you

Emcvt
on 7/7/17 8:29 am

Thank you! This site has been so helpful already. I plan to use it regularly.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/17 8:47 am

I know sometimes I don't like what someone has to say to me. And I wanted to run from this site. Most people here want to help.

It helped me majorly. I am still learning daily.

Ask questions. Use the search button when you need to. Life after surgery has been a unique one. Being comfortable in my body is something I still struggle with.

I think also it is part of me growing up. Being a mother and getting my own identity. For so long I have been someones wife and mother.

Best wishes to you

CC C.
on 7/6/17 7:56 am

I'm still me no matter what I weigh, but if I'm less tired, less achy, less sweaty, and lugging less weight around I am happier. I say yes to more things when I'm not worrying about what I'm going to wear, will I overheat, or can I keep up. I make more eye contact and conversation with people when I'm not embarrassed about how I look.

Being obese can often feel like you're wearing your failures and insecurities on the outside for everyone to see. Shedding that layer is freeing. Don't be afraid of feeling better and freer to be who you want to be.

Emcvt
on 7/7/17 8:31 am

Wow! You have really summed it up. I do feel like my extra weight is a billboard announcing my failures before I even met someone. I will NOT miss that feeling. Thank you!!!

Renren
on 7/6/17 10:00 am
VSG on 12/02/15

For me it was like remodeling a house. Even though it was nicer, it felt weird and unfamiliar. But after a short while it just becomes your new normal. It's still me, just in a remodeled house.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Kathy1212
on 7/6/17 12:25 pm

Love this!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Emcvt
on 7/7/17 8:32 am

Thanks it is good to be reminded that I am still me. Congrats on hitting your goal in only 10mths