Recovering binge eater... Can I get weight loss surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 11:04 am

There are ways to tell the truth and call attention to yourself and ways to tell the truth in a non-red-flag raising way.

The fact that the poster's done something to help herself before starting this process is a giant help.

I think sometimes ambivalent ( or scared) WLS candidates just " let it all hang out " at the psych eval ... without understanding first that the surgeon's ( and psych evaluator's ) job is to screen for risky patients. Many of the most self-aware and learned successful " vets" here on the site have researched and explored a variety of psychiatric treatments for their obesity pre op - that doesn't make them crazy , rather resourceful and smart.

The same process described different ways can be a positive on your chart or a huge negative- thats all I'm trying to say . I hate seeing when a worthy WLS candidate stops herself and later regrets it- only to have to battle that part of her medical record which is now " writ in stone"

Valerie G.
on 7/7/17 7:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

As long as you go into it knowing that WLS will not cure your BED and you continue your therapy, it may be quite inspiring for you as you see real changes.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes