I did tempt fate!

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/17 2:38 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

One topic about which I have read here with particular interest is that of dumping syndrome. While I do not want to experience this unpleasant response, I did wonder if I would have it. Many have said they do not have this response. A few weeks ago, while out touring a museum, I needed something to eat. The only item I could find at the time was an Oikos yogurt, but with 15 grams of sugar (I usually eat the plain Greek yogurt). I gave it a try. No ill effects. I will not allow this to influence me to consume sugar as I have other metabolic reactions I want to avoid. A couple of nights ago, we ate at Cheesecake Factory (we are traveling). My husband ordered the lemon meringue cheesecake for dessert. I had a few bites. No reaction. So, it appears that I may not be unfortunate enough to succumb to dumping syndrome from consuming sugar. Now, perhaps I would if I consumed a great deal of sugar.
I don't plan to do that.

While I do feel empowered to be able to take a bite of something decadent then walk away,
I also do not want to lapse into that old mindset of "this won't hurt me."

I recall reading one person's post who lamented not getting dumping syndrome.
As aversion therapy, it might be a good thing to have it?
Those who do experience it, does it help you stay the course?
Those who do not experience it, do you find it easy to eat things you shouldn't?

peachpie
on 7/1/17 6:16 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

For me it's a crap shoot of what quantity/combination of fat and/or sugar may make me ill. It's not an occurrence with every consumption, and its not been a trend I can figure out. I kind of prefer it that way.

My heart races, and I get various intensities of stomach upset and I get sweaty.

I do notice the longer I stay away from sweets, when I do have it bothers me. But I figure if I had them consistently, my body could get used to them too.

I like the mystery factor- the bite I enjoyed last week could be a bite I totally regret for an hour today.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/1/17 6:38 pm
I'd be careful. You are only a couple of months out. You should be trying to keep your sugar intake low until you get to goal.

I've seen many people on here fail to get to goal because they started to indulge in innocent little tastes
(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 10:06 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

I should note that my sugar intake is nil and sucralose intake is minimal, even occasional.
Since surgery, I do not crave sweet. I'm more likely to succumb to a baked potato with butter and sour cream than a dessert. Being allergic to wheat helps a great deal in that department.
I lean more paleo in my macros, so typically avoid all refined carbs, because those combined with fat are a big issue. I guess I foolishly wanted to see if I would have a reaction. But, as many say, it may be a fickle thing and I shouldn't test it.

Cosmos2112
on 7/1/17 8:00 pm

I've spoken with people at my work who had RNY and dumped. After what they went through, I'm never having sweets. Plus I don't want my diabetes coming back. Just curious, but people with the sleeve dump?

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/2/17 3:23 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I don't, but my surgeon said that some people with VSG do dump.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Ladytazz
on 7/1/17 9:51 pm

I don't seem to dump on dairy carbs but mainly real sugar does the trick, although I have dumped on some sweetener that was made with fructose and I recently had some sugar free ice cream with sugar free hot fudge and sugar free Cool Whip. It was a bit too much and I definitely paid.

Before anyone jumps on me for the sugar free dessert, I am still below goal so I allow myself an occasional treat that I would not have had while losing. I don't do it every day but every once in awhile I do succumb.

Anyway, after my reaction I can tell you I won't be succumbing to that any more.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/17 5:54 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

I hear ya, Ladytazz! I've dumped after too much sugar-free stuff, especially the ice cream. I treat it the same as I do sugar-sweetened stuff.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/17 6:19 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

And by that, I mean BEFORE surgery.

Amy R.
on 7/2/17 6:38 am

I'm sorry you felt you had to try that. Because I promise you *will* try it again. And again.

My surgeon didn't even allow solids until week 9.

As someone with severe dumping syndrome and worse reactive hypo-glycemia, I wouldn't wi**** on or for anybody. Those who know exactly how much they can eat before slipping into that miserable cycle are pretty rare. Meaning we don't always know something will trigger the reaction until it's too late.

Does it help me stay on course? To some degree I suppose. It's not a method I'd recommend though.