Micro biome responsible for weight gain or loss?!! REALLY :0

Donna L.
on 7/6/17 5:19 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Actually, where I grew up, it was (and still is) quite trendy to schedule your c-section to deliver on command. Many of my friends from high school (I'm now 40) scheduled the day/time of their deliveries, and fit in spa days, etc. around it. Some would go shopping in the Hamptons, then head over to the hospital for their c-section.

Health is only one of many reasons women have c-sections, and often they are not due to diabetes, but due to mama hip size - even skinny girls sometimes have very narrow pelvic girdles and need them.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 7/7/17 3:32 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Heh heh. Pelvic girdles.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 7/7/17 10:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

They have websites for that, young man!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/7/17 7:51 am
RNY on 08/05/19

By the middle of week 37, I was so DONE with being pregnant that I prayed my son was breech so I could just get him out of there already!

I nearly had to have a C-section for my son, even though I had an uncomplicated pregnancy. My water broke at 5am, and he was born at 2am the following day. If he hadn't been born by 24 hours after my water broke, I would have needed a Ceasarian.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Caff
on 7/1/17 2:09 pm

I don't want to cause a brouhaha or make this thread more negative, it's just that as a newb still learning the ropes, it is off-putting to hear a member specifically reference another's weight in order to discredit their point.

Frankly, it makes me hesitant to share my own experiences or pictures.

Anyhow, this thread ended up being very informative and I appreciate hearing what others have learned about the gut microbiome. I would love to take part in a study!

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

on 7/3/17 8:47 am
RNY on 08/05/19

There's a lot of interesting research about the intestinal bacteria and its effects on metabolism.

Having browsed this book, though, I'll say that there are better places to look if you're interested in the legit research. The author does NOT have a healthy relationship with her own weight and details her own obsession with losing 30lb alongside the popular science she discusses. She quotes quite a few uncredentialed Internet weight-loss gurus, and it's difficult to separate the junk from the research.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/17 1:54 pm

Again ... its a matter of opinion but I wish the replies didn't descend to personal insults.

One persons' " unhealthy " weight is anothers' beautiful and comfortable .

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/5/17 2:00 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

She didn't say that the author was an "unhealthy weight" -- she said that she had an "unhealthy relationship with her weight" -- meaning that she wasn't happy with her weight and obsessed about it.

I don't think that's insulting, it's stating an opinion based on the facts the author represented in the book.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

on 7/5/17 4:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

How have I insulted anyone?

The author's personal cir****tances affected her ability to discuss the subject objectively.

Valerie G.
on 7/3/17 12:20 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My weight stays the same pretty much no matter what I eat, but when it's the season, I crave fresh fruits and veggies like crazy. It's the way our bodies are designed, naturally taking advantage of what's readily available.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active