Micro biome responsible for weight gain or loss?!! REALLY :0

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/17 3:04 pm, edited 6/29/17 3:05 pm

I read a VERY interesting book from my library ( recently printed ) called "The l Secret Lfe of Fat " ... very scientific up to date and (of course ) hugely relevant to MY everyday life .

The most new and relevant thing I learned was that the microbiobe in our guts may determine weight gain or loss determined on how much fresh food we eat.

Since I read this I've been " scarfing " as much fresh stuff as I can get down ... which is surprisingly not a lot.

Interestingly Weigh****chers also made fresh fruits and vegetables " free " .. maybe for the same reason.

What are your experiences eating " freshies " - do you lose ? I f not weight what do you gain?

Writergurl08
on 6/29/17 3:12 pm
RNY on 02/15/18

I'm not really sure, but I grow a large garden inform spring through late fall, and I know I tend to feel more energetic when I'm eating largely out of my own garden vs store-bought produce that's likely to be far from fresh-picked. Any weight lost I've always just attributed to eating better when I have the fresh stuff more readily available, not the freshness of the food itself. Interesting, though!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/17 4:29 am

If greens are what we need to lose weight- cows would be skinny. Just saying.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY_elizabeth
on 6/30/17 12:26 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Grass fed cows are actually pretty darn skinny. We have to feed them corn and other grains to "fatten" them up.

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/30/17 12:52 pm

ok then. elephants?

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY_elizabeth
on 7/3/17 6:09 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Now I totally want to know the body fat index of an elephant. LOL

Your point is still sound... if anything was an "easy" fix none of us would be here.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/17 6:21 am

At one time, way before RNY, under supervision of a naturopath - I become vegetarian - in 3 months I gained 20 lbs, instead of losing 10. I was eating pre-measured qty of foods.

Then - she put me on a vegan diet - not only I gained additional 30 lbs- but my hair was falling out and because of soy for proteins, and raw veggies like cabbage, broccoli, etc - my thyroid almost completely shut down, and I become anemic. I no was cold and hungry all the time.

That thought me that this type of life style and me - don't match. My skin was glowing - and I have great (though very gassy) BM's...

At the end - she decided that I need meat proteins, even though personally she was against that, - she told me to eat lots of chicken. Lol... And not come back to see her. She could not help me.

RNY_elizabeth
on 7/3/17 6:31 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Sending folks away when it doesn't 'work' is a good way to keep your 'success' rate at 100% I suppose. :)

I eat meat primarily but I do love fruits and veggies as well. I know some people are veggiesaurus and RNYers but I couldn't manage it...would be too hard to get enough protein.

~E

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/6/17 7:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Apparently, Americans can even cause elephants to become obese.

https://phys.org/news/2014-07-obesity-overweight-zoo-elephan ts.html

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/6/17 1:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

BMI = weight(kg)/height(m)^2

Per Wikipedia, a male African elephant might be 4m tall and weigh 7,000kg.

That gives a BMI of 437.5.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active