Kathy S WLS Journey - Pre-Op Testing

Kathy S.
on 6/29/17 11:47 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Pre-Op Testing

August 5, 2004

Well I just got back from Northwestern and feel a lot was accomplished. Had my doppler test done. This is where they do an ultra sound on your main veins for the legs. One of the big risk factors is blood clot and this is why they do the test before hand. It was easy and all looked great. I had my chest X-Ray done and the results were sent to the surgeon?s office. Also had major blood workup done. Everything came back with the exception of some that had to be sent to California. I am not sure what test they were but will ask the doctor when I see him.

I already had my Pap, Mammogram, and stress, EKG. I believe that is it. Unless something comes back strange for the CA blood test I think I am ready to go. Then I went over to the Wellness Center had my pre-op exam and everything went well there. She mentioned on how closely they monitor my meds as my needs will change as my body rapidly (I love the term) loses weight. Then I attended my last surgery/weight loss class. This one was about exercise and one point she made that I thought was interesting. She said she can't tell you how many people after the surgery come to her so frustrated with not losing. She said the key to not being one of those was not just exercise but to keep the body guessing, and not to do the same thing everyday. Walk one day, bike the next, swim and then do weight training. She said if you do this, your body will never get that fear of you starving and stop the fat burning. I have to remember that one....

Some strange things are happening at this point, or maybe not so strange. I have stayed pretty much the same weight wise. Looking back I could have lost some major weight and didn't. But, I "REALLY" wanted to get a few off in the 6-week window I had before surgery. I was doing really great for a couple of weeks and then for some reason I started thinking about all the recipes I had not done in years. And almost in a panic way thought, oh my gosh I have to bake this, make this.... I even one night had to have M&M's one more time. What's up with this? I really do think the post are correct. You go through a mourning time. This is my best friend I am killing. This is the one true thing in my life I could depend on to be there and comfort me no matter what. Yes, I know this best friend was killing me slowly but my personally choices in life have lead to nothing but heartache and pain. But my old friend always got me through.

I really have to get this under control, as it now is only 3 weeks away.

The last thing left to do is that on August 18 I have one last appointment to see the surgeon. I really need to see him and come away with a good feeling, as I didn't get a chance to spend a lot of time with him. I have a lot of last min questions and hope that after this I will walk away with the feeling he is the best doctor for me. I think you really need that going in this. Then after seeing the doctor I have a pre-op surgery class where they tell you what you are going to go through for the surgery, Post-op diet and such.

Well I guess that will be my next post. August 18th. I also need to get some pictures taken. I have avoided the camera all these years but really think you need to take a lot of pictures for this journey.

Bye for now......

Updated thoughts - Wow, it's interesting how little things have changed in 13 years. Please read and re-read when I was talking about panicking about eating. I can't tell you how many "last" meals I ate before surgery. Maybe that is why surgeon's now make it mandatory to do the liquid diet before surgery? I really panicked at the thought I was getting rid of the one thing I could count on always. FOOD, but food/my best friend was killing me.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

skinnyjax
on 6/29/17 2:55 pm

Wow. I could be writing your pre- op post right now. I am in the process of going through all the pre- op appointments and all I think about is what I have to eat before I get this done. It is sort of like a panic feeling. I need to eat all my favorite foods at least one more time. It is like a mourning period and I get so disgusted with myself for feeling this way about food. I am starting therapy next week too to start to work through this. Has your feelings about food changed throughout the years ? Or is it still the same struggle ? I wonder how I will cope without food when I can't use it to " solve " my problems anymore.

Kathy S.
on 7/5/17 10:57 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi skinnyjax,

I had more last meals than carter has liver pills. OK,OK they may not say that anymore I am showing my age.

For me it was key to deal with my head issues. When my surgeon told me how long it would be before I could get a surgery date I freaked out. His very wise words came true. He told me to use this time to make a list of all the reasons I turn to food and then work out a plan to id those red flags and remove them one by one.

By the time I had surgery I NEVER cheated once! I lost over 200 pounds and kept it off for over 10 years. Bread was a trigger food for me and I didn't take one bite until 18 months after hitting goal. You won't believe me but if you make these changes and live it for a long time, when and "if" you do take a bite of this and that it will not taste as good as your mind told you id did And if you are having RNY you will still feel sick if you do. To this day I can eat anything sugar but don't. But anything fatty I still get that sick feeling after 13 years.

YOU GOT THIS!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy1212
on 6/30/17 11:32 am

Very interesting, Kathy! You've come so far; did you ever think you'd lose so very much?

I like where you wrote: "Walk one day, bike the next, swim and then do weight training."

I was happy to read that, because that is what I do, except for the weight training, which I do plan on starting in the fall, probably. I do some light weights now, but only 1 to 2 Lbs so it doesn't count, lol.

I mix it up because I get bored if I don't; glad to hear it can actually help to do this.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active