Food Pushers

peachpie
on 6/29/17 7:43 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I am the HR Manager :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/17 9:05 am

Then as HR manager - you may need to put a memo taht things like that are not acceptable. Or have a conversation with the boss - one on one.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

peachpie
on 6/29/17 10:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

If i need to I can go to the Chief of Staff and ask her to talk to my boss, but I really don't think I need to yet. But will hold that card in my pockets if need be.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/17 11:13 am

if yo are a good terms with your boss - you may have a talk with him - one on one. telling him that situation like that was not acceptable, and that it made you very uncomfortable. if he is decent guy - he woudl apologize and not do that again - and even has your back next time when someone is trying to push food on you.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 9:13 am
RNY on 12/31/13

This is really less a response to the irony that you are the HR manager and more to the idea of taking it higher up.

I would have a hard time with this, because, while it is abusive -- you also have to weigh it against creating a situation where work becomes intolerable.

Sometimes one has to pick their battles. I would think that in my case, if I took it higher or made a huge issue of it, it would just make work less pleasant in the long run. Perhaps I am a chicken-ass, but I'd rather fib and use a diabetes excuse than make it a huge HR issue.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 7/1/17 5:52 am
RNY on 03/23/15

HAHAHA, Peach as soon as I read the report to HR thing I though I AM HR.

hollykim
on 6/29/17 12:18 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

then I would write them all up. If you don't and they do something like this to someone else, violate their rights to a safe workplace, and you write the second offender up and it gets out that you let this bunch slide, you will be in a world of trouble.

And trust me, it CAN happen and it WILL.

Jester
on 6/29/17 7:41 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

One of the more subtle tricks I've adopted is saying "Oh, thanks, but I don't eat [insert food here]". I've found the shift from "I can't eat that" to "I don't eat that" can make a profound difference. Something about "can't" makes people want to explain why you "can", but when I say I "don't" it implies more finality. "Can't" can imply that you WANT to, but are UNABLE to. "Don't" implies you CAN, but WON'T.

YMMV, but I've noticed a big difference personally.

ILoveFlowers
on 6/29/17 7:41 am

I faced a similar situation at work recently. When my coworkers were trying their best to convince me to eat a sweet, sugary piece of cake, I told them no thank you. They kept on and finally I told them that diabetes runs in my family history and that I have made a lifestyle choice to not eat sugar or grains and to keep my carb count low. When one woman tried to insist, I told her that I'm the one who made this lifestyle choice and that my choices should have no impact on her, only me. I also told her that I understand that she chooses to eat things that I choose not to and that I do not say anything about her lifestyle choices, so I would appreciate it if she would honor my decision about my lifestyle choices. That stopped it immediately.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/29/17 7:52 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Food pushers are hard to deal with, especially since your boss was doing this publicly in front of your peers. I liked Gina's response with the I'm allergic to donuts, they make me break out in fat.

I'm guessing that you're gonna have to come up with some pc ways to turn them down & hopefully not hurt their feelings in the meantime.

Maybe something like I ate too many carbs already & I'd have to run till next Tuesday to burn them off. Or maybe tell him donuts are your trigger food, you won't stop with just a taste & you'll get sick afterwards. Or does that donut come with a raise/spa treatment/manicure etc.

Something that shows that you appreciate his efforts, but you can't accept his offer. Giving a list of alternatives might be something he'll keep in mind other than food as a reward for next time is a plus imo.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active