Food Pushers

Kristi T.
on 6/29/17 11:00 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Love that one too, thank you! Now I have two new ones:-)

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/29/17 7:22 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I would find this is a difficult situtation. Not necessarily the pushers, but just the extended exposure. My good decision strenght declines with exposure to the temptations, I still find that distance is the best solution for me. I can Walk on By easily (I think of the Dionne Warwick song) but looking at the stuff (or knowing it is in the break room for free) is more difficult.

Before surgery, my A1C had just tipped into the pre-diab raange, so I convince myself that I have to be careful about that health risk. It helps, but at times I do take something and I feel powerful when I eat some and throw some of it ou t. y

Good luck with these situtions,

Sharon

peachpie
on 6/29/17 7:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Free food in the break room is especially hard for me because I know I can 'sneak' in there and no one will see me get 1, 2 or 3 helpings of whatever.

I don't even put my lunch in the fridge anymore so I won't know if someone has brought in goodies. Only time I go in there is if I need to heat up food.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/29/17 7:51 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I think - What the hell is wrong with me. What does it matter that the food is 'free.' Must be something from my childhood. I spent $$$$ on plastic surgery, so why would I even think about a "free" donut.

But knowing that I am not the only one with free food proximity issues, makes it comical, not pathalogical.

Good luck dealing with the ^&*%ing pushers.

Sharon

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 9:09 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Oh Peach, my friend, I SO relate to this. The whole "sneak" and eat thing --

I also avoid the break room/fridge for the same reason. Just letting you know you are not alone.

That fat-mind-food-obsession thing is a real jerk, isn't it!?

You are amazing.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/17 10:28 am

I am a food sneaker also. I really have to watch when I do this.

Funny when we had the surgery we thought we were cured. At the doctors office they never told me you can eat around your surgery.

Moderation with sugar is bad. It is bad. Well meaning I go on a bender.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/29/17 11:09 am

I dump, get severe RH and have food allergies. But - if I want to eat something - there is no stopping me. I learned how to limit dumping...and how to work with the RH...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

VSGAnn2014
on 6/29/17 3:43 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

So sorry you didn't learn that during your pre-op orientation. That was a HUGE topic in my own WLS classes pre-op and during the psych interview.

I see this surprise / shock all the time on this and other WLS message boards. People are shocked, shocked! that they could regain their weight post-op because of multiple ways they can eat around their WLS tools.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/17 5:54 am

Luckily I had this website to help me the vets her explained to me a lot of things I did not know.

I am almost four years out. I have lost about 130 pounds from my highest weight. So luckily I had this site to guide me.

Getting our head in the game is the hardest.

hollykim
on 6/29/17 7:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM Pacific Time, peachpie wrote:

So yesterday my boss came to me telling me that he had a surprise for me and he wanted me to come to his office. I got to his office and there was a few other people there around a box of donuts. He had stopped at the Amish stand at the farmers market where they make them fresh. I was a bit annoyed he lured me in over donuts when I was hoping he was going to tell me I'd be getting more money or more help- but I digress. They insisted I have one. I realized in that moment that this was the first time I really had to deal with a food pusher one on one, but this was really one-on-five, so it felt more like a twisted intervention.

I tried to decline stating that I'm limiting my carb intake and his secretary rolled her eyes so far back in her head I thought she went blind. Then they started to negotiate with me: 'well and just try half you can walk it off' or 'you do spinning you know you'll work it off.' In my head I just kept thinking 'no no this is not how it works!'. It was such an awkward situation. I could have taken it back to my office and tossed it-- but they were literally looking for my reaction to how it tasted. I relented and tried half, which was just ok- (excessively rich foods tend to sit very heavy on me.)

It's much easier for me to pass the candy jar on a desk, or decline an invite to order out for lunch. But I realized I don't have a strategy to deal with food pushers. So how do you let them down? (Note that I do not discuss my surgery at work).

as soon as I knew that was what was going down, I would have left the room. They AMBUSHED you. This was a workplace abuse you shouldn't have to tolerate and you should report them t your HR department.

Most Active