Food Pushers

peachpie
on 6/29/17 7:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

My bosses has a snack corner in his office. Taffy, popcorn, party mix, pretzels etc. I've never taken him up on his offer to help myself, and always pass when they send the tin around in meetings.

I've used the I'm allergic to chocolate excuse before- but there were options here, so that would have been futile. Nut allergy is probably better, since I could say I don't know if it was prepared in the presence of nuts. But I LOVE the idea of saying "sorry I don't have my insulin with me." That would shut people up quick. I think 'just' saying I'm diabetic wouldn't hold any weight because so many know they are diabetic and still choose to eat what they shouldn't. Insulin takes it to the next level...

Of course I work with firefighters, EMT's & paramedics-- so it may just backfire on me cause they may just offer to get me insulin :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 8:55 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Well, the good thing about insulin is that there are so many different types. I used to use a long-term insulin twice per day, but I would bolus (to eat **** I shouldn't!) short acting as needed.

You can always say that you can't bolus because you tend to go hypo too easily -- and you're afraid of going into shock.

Trust me, people get freaked at the idea. Just start talking about how Steel Magnolias really hits home with you... it's like mentioning "female problems" in a group of men. Everyone gets real quiet, really fast...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/17 1:08 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

I am actually sensitive to wheat, so when people try to push bread and other wheat-based goodies on me, I tell them thanks, wish I could, but I'm allergic. If they want to persist, I tell them all of the horrible side effects I am going to experience if I take even one bite of that wheat-loaded sugar/carb/fat bomb. If they continue, then I do get self-righteous about all of the garbage foods available in this culture, how horrible they are for our bodies, and on and on. If they want to push, then I'm going to preach. I've only encountered one food pusher since my surgery two months ago: my husband's aunt. Not one person has watched me eat or commented on how little I am eating, but she watched me like a hawk and kept trying to entice me with items to get me to eat more. Then she wanted to discuss why I was not eating more. She is a heavy woman who struggles with her own weight. I just told her that I don't feel like eating much in the morning due to hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is another good reason to not eat doughnuts, candy, or other highly refined carb treats.
Good luck with this group of food bullies! ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/17 11:08 am

Thats like seeing doctors smoking in their lab coats outside the doors of the hospital ! They do say those in the health care professions eat often the worst ( see THE NURSES STUDY)

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/17 10:17 am

Kat I think that is a good response. I mean people can be really bad sometimes. Misery loves company I always say.

Now that I don't drink booze anymore I blame it on my surgery that I can't. Some people don't stop asking,

Knitter215
on 6/29/17 6:47 am
VSG on 08/23/16

First time - No thank you.

Second time - Really, they look lovely, but no thank you.

Third time - Please, go ahead, don't not eat them on my account, I just can't eat them, but they look great. Enjoy!

Fourth time - Are you prepared to give me a week off, paid without charge against my PTO, for the medical ramifications of eating the donut? Didn't think so. Really. They don't sit well with me and I can't eat them but I really appreciate the thought of you going to all the trouble to stop at the special donut place for us to show your appreciation of our hard work.

Because, in the end, that's what he was trying to do - to show you appreciation for the team's work. But you have to stand up for yourself.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Gina 22 years out
on 6/29/17 7:12 am - Burleson, TX

PEACH - that's a tough one...The response to a boss, in a closed office, will be different, than to your granny, who stood, propped up, on her walker, and made your favorite cake, with her one good arm, just for YOU. Even different would be to the ***** who is jealous, of your success, and is always trying to tempt you with chocolate/twinkies/jelly beans...

And YES, they are Food PUSHERS !!!! They just keep on pushing, pushing, pushing...

Like KAT, to most pushy morons, who won't give up, I'll use the Diabetic thing...or say I'm Allergic to sugar--it makes me break in fat...

In all honesty, now that this particular group of people have broken your spirit once, you know they will likely try again - right? Next time I know you will have a plan, and turn down the WAHTEVER. Did that half a donut derail your health, for the rest of your life? Of course not! But, it bothered you, mentally, or you wouldn't have been led, to write this post.

You got this!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

oneatatime
on 6/29/17 7:18 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. People are rude rude (like the eye rolling receptionist) and no one should force food on anyone.

One thing I've learned over the years is giving reasons weakens my position because it allows them to counter argue. Just like what I heard in your exchange, where you said you're watching your carbs, and they had all the ways you could work it off... and only take half. It's ridiculous and not their business, so I never give people that ammunition.

My conversation would sound something like this: "No, thank you though." Them: "just one" Me: "no, thank you though" Them: "why not?" Me: "I can see they are delicious and I'm the one missing out. More for you!!" Them: "have one then!" Me "no, thank you though!" And usually they are bored by then and move on. If not, I repeat one of those two lines. That's it. Never any ammunition.

Wishing you the best of luck with bullies and pushers.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Kristi T.
on 6/29/17 10:24 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

"One thing I've learned over the years is giving reasons weakens my position because it allows them to counter argue"

I love this, thank you! I give reasons for just about everything I say "no" too. I'm going to use this as my new inner mantra!

oneatatime
on 6/29/17 10:44 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I'm glad you found that helpful, Kristi. It was the most helpful life change I made, too. I used to give people reasons for everything, and when I stopped (it was a long journey to realization), people also stopped arguing with me and trying to change my mind about things.

"Down with the reasons, up with the boundaries" was my mantra :)

Most Active