Food Pushers

peachpie
on 6/29/17 5:18 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

So yesterday my boss came to me telling me that he had a surprise for me and he wanted me to come to his office. I got to his office and there was a few other people there around a box of donuts. He had stopped at the Amish stand at the farmers market where they make them fresh. I was a bit annoyed he lured me in over donuts when I was hoping he was going to tell me I'd be getting more money or more help- but I digress. They insisted I have one. I realized in that moment that this was the first time I really had to deal with a food pusher one on one, but this was really one-on-five, so it felt more like a twisted intervention.

I tried to decline stating that I'm limiting my carb intake and his secretary rolled her eyes so far back in her head I thought she went blind. Then they started to negotiate with me: 'well and just try half you can walk it off' or 'you do spinning you know you'll work it off.' In my head I just kept thinking 'no no this is not how it works!'. It was such an awkward situation. I could have taken it back to my office and tossed it-- but they were literally looking for my reaction to how it tasted. I relented and tried half, which was just ok- (excessively rich foods tend to sit very heavy on me.)

It's much easier for me to pass the candy jar on a desk, or decline an invite to order out for lunch. But I realized I don't have a strategy to deal with food pushers. So how do you let them down? (Note that I do not discuss my surgery at work).

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Erin T.
on 6/29/17 5:20 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Truthfully? I'm an ass to them. I start by politely declining and the moment they get pushy I adamantly decline with a tone that makes it clear the conversation is over. If possible I also leave.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/17 5:41 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I think I have become *****y in my post op life. When they start pushing the food and don't respect my " no thank you". I then just simply say sorry, I don't put crap in my body!

peachpie
on 6/29/17 7:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I wouldn't say that because frankly- I thinks its offensive. You're essentially being self-righteous and passively telling them they are putting crap in their body. And reality is- I do put crap in my body--- I just prefer it to be crap of my own choosing. :-)

Janet P.
on 6/29/17 5:41 am

It's really too bad that you have to "deal" with food pushers. You don't have to let them down. No one should require an explanation, you shouldn't have to tell people about your surgery if you choose not to.

My recommendation would be to say, well it looks good but no thank you, then just walk away.

I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon and don't care if I hurt someone's feelings ;)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

peachpie
on 6/29/17 7:28 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

It really didn't even cross my mind that their feelings could be hurt over this-- I was more floored about how they were trying to rationalize me doing something I just told them I'd rather not do. And how wrong they were with their assumptions that I could 'work it off'.

This really was the first time in my 2+years post op I literally felt cornered, so all in all I guess its not too bad.

CC C.
on 6/29/17 5:50 am

Wow. I'd call those people food bullies, not food pushers!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 6:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Wow.

I have had this problem at Case, especially on Saturdays when I run research statistics. My boss brings in very rich pastries, truffles, and cheesecake bites and insists that we "just try one" and tell her how great they are.

At Christmas time, it was horrendous because there were so many cookies and candies in the teacher's/researcher's lounge, that I couldn't set my coat down anywhere!! I swear to you, there was more powdered sugar in that room than there was snow outside on the ground. During lent, I am hit with paçzki. We have a huge Polish/Ukrainian/Slovak population here -- and they make these donuts that are basically the greatest sugar delivery system ever.

Maybe it's wrong, but I always claim that I can't eat it because I am a diabetic. I feel that it's technically true because even though it's in remission, you are never actually cured. If the person is persistent that I can still try just a taste (which my boss does repeatedly!) -- I state that I can't as I don't have my insulin with me. Also, technically true. She doesn't need to know that I haven't had to use insulin in 3 years...

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gina 22 years out
on 6/29/17 7:04 am - Burleson, TX

KAT - Get out of my head. Diabetes is MY "go to" response. You are too young, and innocent, to be in MY head

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/29/17 9:06 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Well, I could kiss you square on the mouth (with permission of course, I am not a skeeve.) --

I don't think I've been called young, nor innocent in, I don't know, forever? In fact, my son literally called me "jaded" and inferred I was old just this morning. What does he know? He wasn't even alive when dial-up was king and AOL was the bomb.

I think our heads are just perfect!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active