Weigh****chers

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 6:06 am

I need a little guidance here. I don't know much about Weigh****chers. Surprisingly, one of the diets I never tried. But, now that I am 8 months post op and am running across a lot of WW recipes on Pinterest. My husband and i have busy lives and I find cooking in the crock pot and making casseroles ahead of time keeps me on task and keeps me eating healthy. My question is, is WW something that is conducive to bariatric eating? I mean, I know they go on a point system but, do they concentrate on high protein/ low carb foods?

I also have contracted a sweet tooth and try to do clean, healthy baking and many of the recipes I find are advertised at WW points but , i don't see an overall protien/ carb count on them.

what is your experience with WW foods/ recipes post surgery?

Knitter215
on 6/28/17 6:49 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Because they do "balanced", I find that they often have more carbs (particularly for the crock pot or casserole things) than I'm comfortable with post surgery. Some of the recipes are great. If you want to get counts, run them through My Fitness Pal which allows you to create your own recipe or copy a recipe from somewhere to get the numbers.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've done WW about 6-8 times over the last 30 years. I'd lose 20-40 pounds and then gain it back. I never had success with the program.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 8:19 am

Yes i sue MFP but am unclear how to do mixeed dishes like casseroles..?? Do I just type in the individual ingredients?

Knitter215
on 6/28/17 8:22 am
VSG on 08/23/16

There are two ways - by adding the ingredients yourself or by pasting a web page address - on a computer, go to food and then recipes.

I'm not sure if this link will help but this is what I see when I click there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe_parser

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 9:36 am

Oh my goodness! thank you SOO MUCH!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/28/17 7:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

WW seems to change their emphasis periodically (don't know what it is now). The last time I did it the emphasis was on low fat/high fiber. It might be higher protein now? Regardless, their recipes usually show the nutritional breakdown so you should be able to determine if they fit or not from that. I do still use some of my old WW recipes (the high protein/low and good carb ones).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 9:14 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I've never tried WW, but I have a family member that swears by it and has done very well on it. They have lost over a hundred pounds. I do think they are more focused on a fully balanced diet like another poster said, but I also think you can lose weight just fine after WLS on a balanced diet, not just low carb/keto/etc (even though I am doing low carb myself lol). I would say to give it a try for a short while and see how you do on it and how much you like it. If you hate it, or you are not seeing the health results you want, then you can just drop it and go back to your original way.

Floridagirl1
on 6/28/17 9:35 am

I am almost 3 years post op and am doing Weigh****chers. It is now more protein focused which is great for us. You can use your points in any way you don't have to eat high carb. I do it mostly for the accountability. My leader knows that I've had WLS and is fine with it. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 9:39 am

Oh i already have a great plan with my bariatric team. I don't want to go ON Weigh****chers. I just want to know if their program fits the low carb/ high protein program. I run a cross a few recipes on Pinterest that tell me they are WW friendly. I just needed tp know exactly what that meant!

Valerie G.
on 6/28/17 12:44 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It depends on what surgery you have. If you have LapBand or VSG, you should do WW just fine, because your anatomy is just like theirs, but with a smaller stomach. If you have RNY or DS, then you have to be careful that you're getting the protein your body needs and may require extra supplements.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active