Fear of flying

Kathy1212
on 6/21/17 8:35 am

I'm so sorry you had this happen; that flight attendant was totally rude and inappropriate.

Soon this won't be an issue, but it's a shame that it was in the first place. People can be cruel.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

theAntiChick
on 6/21/17 9:24 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I'm so sorry this happened to you. The flight attendant was completely inappropriate.

I'm glad you were able to get an extender and relieve that worry.

I will be going out of town in August for the first time since my surgery (it'll be 1 week after my 1 year surgiversary, yay!) and I'm SO looking forward to it. Last time I flew I was JUST able to buckle my belt without an extender but was so cramped in the seats (I'm also fairly tall) I was miserable. I also had to carry my CPAP so I had 3 bags to deal with, major PITA.

This time, I'm over 100# smaller and I no longer need my CPAP so I don't have to juggle the 3rd bag anymore. I used to LOVE to fly when I was younger, and am hoping I enjoy the trip this time. I'm going to California, so I'm thinking about some evening trips to the beach after my classes. That wasn't even an option last time, I was doing good just to walk the 2 blocks from hotel to the course center without feeling like I was dying.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

OrangeBlossom17
on 6/21/17 11:01 am

Congratulations on your weight loss success. I imagine your August trip will bring back your love of flying.

Referred:Oct 2016 Orientation: Jan 9th/17 Nurse: Apr 4th/17 PreOp Class 1: Apr 2017 Nut/SW:Jun 13th/17 Psych:Jun 29th/17 PreOp Class 2: July 11th/17 Meet the Surgeon:July 12th/17 Endoscopy: July 21st/17 RNY Surgery: August 25th/17

Opti-15lbs M1-18.5lbs M2-12.5lbs M3-10lbs M4-10lbs M5-4lbs M6-15lbs, M7-5lbs M8-

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/17 3:04 pm

Ditto: other posters! I used to pretend it was buckled, which was clearly not very safe. Confession: one landed in my handbag when I did ask for one.

AD_Jordan
on 6/25/17 4:56 pm

I'm flying in July. Hoping to not need the extender. Last time I flew, we had a quick layover. The flight attendant from the first flight was on the second flight with me. Same plane, same seat, and this time I needed the extender? Turns out that the guy in the middle seat had my belt twisted in his.

I don't ask for an extender. When ever come around to ensure you're belted, I just show them it won't go. With the exception of one attendant who had quite obviously had a Very Bad Day, they've all silently slipped me an extender. One "apologized" that the existing belt was "broken" and handed me a "repair kit".

Unfortunately, I still need my CPAP. Love that it helps me sleep. Do not love hauling it through the airport.

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

oneatatime
on 6/26/17 9:46 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi OrangeBlossom,

Just read this now... with horror. Wow. What a shame the airline has such a rude, unempathetic flight attendant. I have had to ask for seatbelt extenders for years (have thought about taking one, but didn't know if I was allowed to go through security with it, and didn't know I could buy one - love this forum!!); but I have been fortunate enough that most flight attendants are quite discreet when giving them to me. I know people around me may notice... but I always remind myself their judgements are a reflection of their own thoughts, negativity, etc, and have actually nothing to do with me, and is therefore none of my business. Plus, people care way less than I worry they do...

Ultimately, I can't wait to not need one again. I had lost enough weight a few years ago that I no longer needed one, and it was such a relief. I am back to wearing one, and will be so glad to be out of one with room to spare.

Have a great trip! Remember horrible people are horrible and it doesn't change how amazing you are. Never take that on. *hugs*

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Most Active