Do you woo?

cheeka
on 6/19/17 6:41 pm

Fredbear, are you sure you wouldn't like to sit down, have coffee and talk about wraps???

:p I kid, I kid.

I'm glad to see many people saying the woo is not strong here!

GP Referral: Nov. 2016 | Orientation, Intake assessment: Jan. 2017 | Nutrition class: Feb. 2017 | Dietitian approval: March 2017 | May 2017: Meet the surgeon! | Surgery: June 2017! | POST-OP!! | Optifast: -18 lbs | HW: 251 lbs | CW: 204.6 lbs | GW: 140 lbs | Woo-free zone

peachpie
on 6/19/17 6:31 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

One thing that my profession has taught me is that ALL people are flawed. I don't care how credentialed, educated, experienced etc they are- every last one of them are flawed. And you can't convince me that their personal flaws don't inhibit their life in some tiny capacity. So for that very reason I never put my eggs in one basket. My medical team will never 'win' hands down; nor will this site, nor do I care to explore scientific data. I definitely live by the principle of do what works for you, take the meat, leave the bones.

Kudos to those of you who do research- there have been a few that's made me reconsider things.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Kristi T.
on 6/20/17 10:30 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Kathyjs
on 6/20/17 5:28 am

Wishing you a happy and woo free weight loss journey. Do you works best for you. I like the advice of eat the meat and leave the bones

Janet P.
on 6/20/17 6:24 am

Interesting discussion. I tend to come and go from the various WLS forums. I'm an "old timer". I had my DS in 2003 and have maintained my loss (except for the typical 10 pound bounce back a few years ago). I had plastics (TT and breast lift) in about 2006 (can't remember exactly). I just turned 60 and am the healthiest I've ever been (except for the osteoporosis and the occasional iron deficiency anemia).

When I had my surgery in 2003 there was almost no information - no forums except for Yahoo groups and one or two others. My surgery was still considered experimental and dangerous. I was incredibly fortunate that my surgeon had a large group that met once a month. From that large group (from all over the DC/VA/MD area) we developed a small local group of our Northern VA peeps (with a couple willing to drive) who met once a week. We did that for years and it was the driving force to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I believe that's what these forums are all about - sharing knowledge. Nothing anyone says here should be taken as gospel - only one person's experience. It's up to the user to take that knowledge and make it their own.

It's OK to question your surgeon, or dietitian, or nutritionist, or physician's assistant. That's how we all learn.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

theAntiChick
on 6/20/17 7:27 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I've been here a few months, came from another forum that shall not be named. I'm MUCH happier with the level of discourse and information around here. The rule seems to be (as it was in my family growing up), cite your sources. I've seen more peer reviewed studies and medical journal articles cited here than in any other forum, anywhere. :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/17 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I consider myself an anti-woo warrior, and I fight bull**** here just as I do elsewhere in life :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 6/20/17 9:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And we all love you for it.

Well, I should say that I love you for it since I'm sure if I claim we all love you for it someone will come along and say "OMG, don't speak for me, I don't love it!!" :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cheeka
on 6/20/17 2:27 pm

Very interesting!

I should say that woo is not, "My friend's surgeon says x and my surgeon says y, what do you think?" It's more along the lines of "Natural News says that GMOs cause post-op patients to grow a third thumb, so I'm never eating GMOs ever ever again." (But maybe a third thumb would be helpful....)

GP Referral: Nov. 2016 | Orientation, Intake assessment: Jan. 2017 | Nutrition class: Feb. 2017 | Dietitian approval: March 2017 | May 2017: Meet the surgeon! | Surgery: June 2017! | POST-OP!! | Optifast: -18 lbs | HW: 251 lbs | CW: 204.6 lbs | GW: 140 lbs | Woo-free zone

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/20/17 4:01 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are a few bits of woo that do pop up here from time to time, but FAR fewer than I'd expect.

Given that NSAIDs are a no-no post op, you'll see the occasional suggestion to take turmeric to reduce inflammation-- which is complete bunk.

But other than that, very little quackery. Not even any food-related stuff! You'd think that in a support board that talks about eating, surely you'd see someone trying to push organic or non-GMO (two topics I feel quite strongly about), but I don't think I've seen many posts of that sort.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active