Gallbladder Removal and Weight Gain

on 6/17/17 11:56 am
VSG on 09/19/16

Hey everyone! I'm 9 months post op VSG and have lost about 105 pounds so far (including pre-op liquid diet). Everything in general has been good so far, except for the past two weeks I've been experiencing a lot of abdominal and side pain after eating, and also some really terrible bloating, gas, nausea, and constipation. Did an ultrasound a few days ago and it turns out I have a contracted gallbladder full of stones. :(

I know that the only way to get rid of gallbladder problems is to do gallbladder removal surgery, but I've been doing a lot of research and I've been finding that A LOT of people have been complaining that they experience uncontrolled weight gain after gallbladder removal. Despite eating healthy, exercising, and limiting the consumption of fats, people seem to rapidly gain huge amounts of weight, especially in the abdomen, and find it impossible to lose it. As a bariatric patient this of course scares the heck out of me! I don't want to do this surgery and ruin what I've worked so hard to achieve with my weight loss, and I still have so much more weight I want to lose until I hit my goal.

What should I do? :( Has anyone else had gallbladder removal after wls? Did it impact your weight loss or give you any unwanted side affects after surgery? I'm so scared of having to do this surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kathyjs
on 6/17/17 4:45 pm

I never gained after having it out! Best thing I did other than WLS . You will feel so much better

hollykim
on 6/17/17 4:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 17, 2017 at 6:56 PM Pacific Time, avatarkorraa wrote:

Hey everyone! I'm 9 months post op VSG and have lost about 105 pounds so far (including pre-op liquid diet). Everything in general has been good so far, except for the past two weeks I've been experiencing a lot of abdominal and side pain after eating, and also some really terrible bloating, gas, nausea, and constipation. Did an ultrasound a few days ago and it turns out I have a contracted gallbladder full of stones. :(

I know that the only way to get rid of gallbladder problems is to do gallbladder removal surgery, but I've been doing a lot of research and I've been finding that A LOT of people have been complaining that they experience uncontrolled weight gain after gallbladder removal. Despite eating healthy, exercising, and limiting the consumption of fats, people seem to rapidly gain huge amounts of weight, especially in the abdomen, and find it impossible to lose it. As a bariatric patient this of course scares the heck out of me! I don't want to do this surgery and ruin what I've worked so hard to achieve with my weight loss, and I still have so much more weight I want to lose until I hit my goal.

What should I do? :( Has anyone else had gallbladder removal after wls? Did it impact your weight loss or give you any unwanted side affects after surgery? I'm so scared of having to do this surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

mine was removed the year before I had wls and I went on to lose and maintain the loss of 122#,for 7 years.

I have not read a lot of posts about ppl having these problems losing weight after gallbladder singers post op wls.

at any rate, you don't have a lot of choice because infected gallbladders can burst filling your abdominal cavity with infection and that can be deadly.

Hippie Lady
on 6/17/17 7:27 pm - Warren, OH

I had mine out in December and gained 10 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

nance1950
on 6/18/17 8:31 am
RNY on 04/26/17

I had gall bladder surgery and didn't experience any weight gain. I felt so much better after the surgery too.

sue1956
on 6/18/17 9:59 pm

Sorry your having pain. I'm going in for my By Pass on Tues and they are taking out my gallbladder they found stones. I have to say I'm scared please keep me in your prayers

stacyrg
on 6/19/17 3:01 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had my gallbladder removed 8 months after my VSG. I didn't gain weight as a result of the surgery and continued on to lose to goal. A gallbladder full of stones is potentially life threatening. To me, there's no question what you should do . . . have the surgery.

VSGAnn2014
on 6/21/17 5:43 am, edited 6/20/17 10:44 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I had my gall bladder out 4 weeks after VSG surgery 3 years ago.

I went on to lose 100 pounds over the next 15 months and have maintained that weight lost for the last year and a half.

BTW, among my rather large circle of friends and acquaintances who've also had gall bladder removal surgery, I've never heard any of them complain of weight gain after that surgery.

It also seems plausible to me (no research done here by me) that people who gain weight would tend to blame their new pounds on anything other than how much / what they're eating. My personal opinion, obviously.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Vegbeth
on 6/21/17 6:02 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I had my gallbladder removed a week after my 30th birthday, many years ago and years before my vsg surgery. I really don't remember it being associated with weight gain and I lost almost 200lbs on my own about 5 years after the gallbladder removal (5 years later I gained over a 100 of it back). Perhaps just being laid up for a few days after surgery and any fluids that are pumped into you could account for what you have heard? I can say that in my personal experience it did not help or hinder any weight loss attempts.

Most Active