Losing balance more?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/17 6:58 am

Using walking as my main exercise helped reset my center of gravity - the physical vs the mental.

Good shoes- flats , really helped with that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy1212
on 6/10/17 9:49 am

Yes, my balance is off and I keep tilting too far in one direction when I try to stabilize; it's very off putting.

I do also get dizzy though; yesterday was bad. I checked my blood pressure and it was optimal so I have no idea what the problem is, lol. Maybe my tilting around trying to balance is making me dizzy.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathyjs
on 6/10/17 11:01 am

LOL I had forgot about that. It gets better.

AggieMae
on 6/10/17 9:50 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I noticed I was lumbering about 30 pounds ago. My gym offers a tri fit class that includes 20 minutes of balance focused exercise. It really helps. But what helped most was paying attention while walking... also pretending I'm Audrey Hepburn

diane S.
on 6/11/17 10:55 am

Interesting topic. I have felt off balance for some time and am 7 years out. I thought it was just aging but my surgeon told me he had many patients that reported feeling off balance. Seems like after significant weight loss a person would adjust to this after while. I also though is was just lack of strength on my part and have recently joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. We will see if it helps. I am 65 years old and take some meds that may also cause it. But don't hesitate to see a doctor. For older people, falls are a big deal so I am trying my best to learn to avoid them. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

AD_Jordan
on 6/11/17 7:14 pm

I was just in for a re-check on my knees (arthritis). The PA told me that when people lose a large amount of weight it takes time for the body to "re-learn" the best way to move, because it doesn't have the same job (moving x-amount of weight) any more.

She asked me some screening questions to see if I might have orthostatic intolerance (which she has seen in some WLS patients). I don't. But she's sending me back to PT to work on core/balance for a few weeks.

I have found myself jumping up into the truck, and almost ending up in the passenger seat, because I'm not as heavy. At Field Day at my kids' school, they had Parent Races, and I almost wiped out in front of everyone because I ran faster than I knew I could and surprised myself. I'm just waiting for someone to post a photo of the horrified expression on my face. It'll probably become an (awful) Internet meme.

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

supershopper
on 6/12/17 10:41 am

It has happened to me since surgery. I am 16 months out this month, still happens occasionally.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

califsleevin
on 6/12/17 4:51 pm - CA

When my wife was going through this I used to joke that it was like going through puberty in reverse (O noooooo, not that again.....) as kids can have similar problems as their size changes rapidly. One couple in our support group engaged a kinesiologist to help with balance issues during that time. The Wii Fit (is that still around these days?) has a lot of balance exercises and games on it, and puts you through a token balance measurement each time you check in and do your weight on it. It seemed to help some as I went through that phase (and it's also good for weighing the dogs/cats as it automatically subtracts your weight and you don't have to read the scale between your feet - most important with 50-60 lb pointers!)

Interesting that this can still manifest itself after many years though - it does seem like something else may be going on too.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active