IRON: Ferrous fumarate or Ferrous gluconate - questions

Terri Ott Norris
on 6/8/17 7:56 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

Hi Everyone!

I am preparing for RNY-and my doctor wants me to start taking:

Ferrous fumarate or Ferrous gluconate (approx 60mg IRON)

Every where I look to see 27 mg of iron, 36 mg of Iron (on labels)

Has anyone found one that contains 'approx' 60 mg?

Thanks so much!!

Have a Blessed Day....

BLOG: www.sweattodaysmiletomorrowcom.wordpress.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/17 8:08 am
RNY on 04/18/17

You will most likely need to buy a brand designed specifically for bariatric patients or double up on dosage. Wellesse makes a liquid iron supplement that is easily absorbed. It is only 18 mg. per serving, so you'd have to triple up on it. I order it online from Walgreens. Supplements designed for bariatric patients typically contain double the daily value.

OutsideMatchInside
on 6/8/17 8:09 am, edited 6/8/17 1:09 am
VSG on 07/15/15

Just ask your Dr for a script. I take 325mg 2x a day and it is a $4 generic. It is easier snd cheaper thsn hunting around for some.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

catwoman7
on 6/8/17 8:14 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yea - I have to take three tablets to get to the right dosage for me.

If those bother your stomach (although they may not be as bad as ferrous sulfate), carbonyl iron is usually really easy on people's stomachs. I mean just for future reference....

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Terri Ott Norris
on 6/8/17 8:17 am - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

What brand to you take?

Have a Blessed Day....

catwoman7
on 6/8/17 8:33 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I take Sundown, but it was recently discontinued (I bought up every bottle I could find, because I love the stuff!). Vitalady also carries it - I think it's called Perfect Iron - but last time I checked, she was out of stock. There are other brands around, though - although oddly, it's not all that easy to find (that stomach-wrecking ferrous sulfate is *everywhere*, though...). Feosol is one brand. Or Kat W found some carbonyl iron at Big Lots once that was pretty cheap (although the stock at Big Lots changes all the time depending on what they're able to get their hands on)

catwoman7
on 6/8/17 8:54 am
RNY on 06/03/15

actually, Vitalady's is Tender Iron, not Perfect Iron. Looks like it's still backordered:

https://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=vtmnfe&template=Templates/Iron.html

Kathy S.
on 6/8/17 11:24 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Terri

When my hair was falling out and my iron got really low I reached out to my mentor Charlie that helped me when I had surgery. Here is what she sent me and it has worked like a charm. Check with your surgeon Terri to see if this is an option for you. My labs have been great ever since.

Kathy, this works. Liquid is best but it stains teeth so if you do this, make sure to toss the iron back or use a straw to keep if off teeth. Try this until your next test. I take a whole ounce every day. We need more than the average person. Here is a site to order liquid and it's on sale for $5 a bottle. Good buy. I mix it with about 2 ounces of OJ or grapefruit juice. Makes it way easier to take. But you can chew Vitamin C supplement with it and it's best on an empty stomach. I just take it last thing at night then I have the 2 hours 'after' covered :) Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottle

Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottl... McKesson, Iron Supplement (Ferrous Sulfate) Liquid 16 oz., 1 Bottle, Betty Mills Price: $5.08 Per Bottle, MON 16162700, MON16162700, Generic OTC Meds, Minerals...

View on www.bettymills.com Preview by Yahoo

http://www.bettymills.com/iron-supplement-(ferrous-sulfate)- liquid-16-oz-1-bottle-57896070916?referer=search

Here are my iron rules. Charlie's Iron Rules:

1. Do not take calcium supplements or vitamins containing calcium within 2 hours either side of taking iron. Calcium and iron bind together and leave the body with no benefit of either.

2. Take only liquid iron and take it with a little orange juice or a chewable vitamin C....iron needs acid to absorb. Liquid isn't as constipating as pills, but if it's a problem, increase fiber during the day.

3. NO coffee or tea (herbal is ok) within 2 hours either side of taking iron. It's not the caffeine; it's the tannic acid that inhibits iron absorption.

4. NO soy products within 2 hours either side of taking iron.

5. Very important.....NO dairy within 2 hours either side of taking iron. That includes butter, milk, cream, cream cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese.....NO DAIRY.

6. Try not to eat foods that are high in calcium or calcium supplemented when eating iron rich foods. IE.....don't have butter and sour cream on a baked potato when you have that steak J

7. Cook as much as you can in cast iron. Some iron rich foods include:

· Red meat

· Egg yolks

· Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)

· Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)

· Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)

· Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)

· Turkey or chicken giblets

· Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans

· Liver

· ArtichokesSome calcium rich foods include:

· Cheese

· Yogurt

· Milk

· Sardines

· Dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, turnips and collard greens

· Fortified cereals

· Fortified orange juice

· Soybeans

· Fortified soymilk

· Enriched breads, grains and waffles

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Terri Ott Norris
on 6/8/17 1:11 pm - Livermore, CA
RNY on 07/18/17

Thank you kind lady!! (put the horse cuz the rodeo is in town)!

Have a Blessed Day....

Kathy S.
on 6/8/17 1:25 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

In Livermore?

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active