Hair concerns, should I get rid of it all?

sampeck
on 6/8/17 5:38 pm
VSG on 05/22/17

regardless of wls and hair loss, i highly recommend a short haircut. i have been rocking a pixie for years and have never felt better in any other haircut. good luck!

AggieMae
on 6/9/17 3:29 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Rogaine definitely helps. I started using it 6 weeks ago and have lots of 1/2 -1" hairs. Alas, they are very fine and grey. Not ready to be grey yet so I will have to color every 10 days to keep them auburn.

I take biotin too. Don't think it helps but it can't hurt.

I got a small 3"X 4" human hair piece, called a frontal and I am going to have it sewn into my hair at the part. The salon will braid my hair and sew the silk base into the braid... Hopefully it will stay on for 2 weeks.

MonaLyssa33
on 6/9/17 6:08 pm - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

I've been losing a lot more hair than usual. Thankfully I have very thick hair, well now not so much, so it isn't terribly noticeable, but I'm considering getting it cut shorter too.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Donna L.
on 6/10/17 8:34 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Hair loss due to surgery is always temporary. It's called telogen effluvium, and this occurs with many surgeries and other traumas. The trauma to the body shocks the hair into the last phase of growth when it's normal to fall out - it's just alarming for us because it's usually not all at once.

I think hair loss aside, it's a great time to experiment with different things, since it's a time of change. I cut mine super short too, but mostly because I was half-way through grad school and had let a lot of things go from being busy, and being depressed from obesity. Getting my hair cut was a revitalizing moment, that's for sure, dorky as it sounds.

Enjoy the new hair!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/11/17 5:38 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I'm glad you are happy with your hair. That is a part of getting used to our new appearances.

Sharon

diane S.
on 6/11/17 11:21 am

Yep, go with your gut and get a shorter haircut. I had a little hair loss but not too bad. I have always had thick hair. I took a supplement my surgeon suggested - I think it was biotin but can't remember it was so long ago.

I have been wanting to get a shorter haircut since I am going grey and may have to bite the bullet and dye it.

Just read your edit. Good for you. Glad you did it. Now I will do the same. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

skinny_gigi
on 6/11/17 2:46 pm

Good for you! I cut all mine off as well...and i do think it helps with the growth...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Renren
on 6/12/17 9:51 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I lost quite a bit of hair. It started looking stringy so I had it cut in layers, and that made it look fuller. When it started to grow back I had to cut it again because the new growth came in super thick and curly and the old hair was straight. I looked like a dog with a double coat. Again I had it cut in layers, but about to my collar. I just wa**** and let it do it's own thing. I love it.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Gwen M.
on 6/15/17 3:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Aw, you already decided.

I'll share my story anyway!

Pretty much the same time I decided to have VSG my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I'd always thought it would be cool to shave my head, just to see what it would be like. I knew that my dad would likely lose hair with chemo and radiation. And I knew that I'd likely lose hair from VSG. For all of these reasons combined, I signed up to shave my head for St Baldricks. I chose a date 6 weeks post-op and my bff decided to do it with me. We did the "virtual" event not an actual organized one with lots of people. So it was just the two of us.

I raised $1500 for an awesome charity and never had to deal with telogen effluvium :)

Interesting to note - my face was always round when I was SMO. So I stuck with bobs and other round face haircuts. My face now is much more narrow. It's got stronger lines vs soft ones. I've kept my hair short ever since shave day and I get tons of compliments on it.

And that's my post-op hair story :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 5:54 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I always worried my head would be a terrible bald shape! After I got my hair cut just a bit ago when I made this post I went back and cut it again to a full pixie cut and love it.

It's great that you were able to raise that kind of money for a charity, what a wonderful way to go about doing such an event. I was so close to getting rid of it all, I was miserable with my hair, but I always have been that way well before VSG. My grandmother was worried it would make my face appear rounder and wider, but the short cut did the opposite actually. It makes it look narrower, which is a huge plus! I've never known by face any other shape but round lol

Most Active